First Personal Training Session

Karen R.
on 8/6/13 2:04 pm
RNY on 04/14/13

I had my first personal training session last night and, man--it kicked my butt.  Mark, my trainer, said he was going easy on me because this was all new.  I said, "This is easy?  Wow.  I hate to think what I'm going to feel like when we really get into it."

The good news is he says my core muscle aren't that bad (despite my bowl-full-of-jelly middle).  My "hasps" (I think I heard him right [I made him repeat it]), which is the area where my legs attach to my pelvis, though, is very tight. 

We didn't really use free weights or machines (though he pointed out some he thought might be good for me to try).  His main tool was what reminded me in some ways of a cross between a water skiing tow rope and the kinds of straps mountain climbers use for climbing.  With them attached to a cross-pulling machine (I don't know the actual name of the apparatud), I was able to keep my balance as we did a whole lot of lunges and squats.  Despite my months of walking, my legs feel like they've been fileted, even after a good night's sleep.

Did I truly like it?  No.  Will I keep doing it?  Yes.  What's the payoff?  After an eight day stall, I dropped two pounds this morning.  It's hard to complain about that.

5'4" | Pre Surgery BMI:  40.7 | Current BMI:  20.8 | SW:  237 |  CW:  121 |  GW:  125

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

tdbull
on 8/6/13 2:14 pm - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
How did you go about finding a good personal trainer? I want to get one to set me up for what will work post surgery? Is congrats in order even tho you feel like you've been thru the ringer?? LOL

Lapband surgery in 2009 -  Revision to RNY August 13, 2013 with gallbladder removal.

HW - (260)   SW - (197)   GW - (135), updated on 1-2-14 to 125lbs  HT 5'5"  Goal reached 3/2/14-revised goal to 120 on 3/9/14   reached 4/6/14             

Karen R.
on 8/6/13 7:08 pm
RNY on 04/14/13

My situation is a little odd.  I live in the Middle East, so it's not like there are a ton of personal trainers floating about.  We have a gym where I work and a Wellness Officer.  She is always looking for healthy outlets for our employees.  She linked up with this company that is run by a Westener, vetted them, and arranged for them to conduct training sessions in our gym.  So when I decided I wanted to go this route, all I had to do was pick up the phone and arrange to meet with a trainer.

I have some reservations about his nutritional suggestions, as he doesn't really have a lot of experience working with WLS patients/clients.  I'd posted earlier about how much more he'd like to see me eat (I'm still struggling with appetite four months out).  But I completely believe he knows his stuff when it comes to exercise.  Plus, he's really nice.  I'm going to give this a go and see how it works.

Even if I am limping today!

5'4" | Pre Surgery BMI:  40.7 | Current BMI:  20.8 | SW:  237 |  CW:  121 |  GW:  125

longway2go
on 8/6/13 5:42 pm
RNY on 07/26/13
Is he hot? :: eyebrows :: lol.
Karen R.
on 8/6/13 7:03 pm
RNY on 04/14/13

Actually...yes. 

jeterway
on 8/6/13 8:20 pm
I had been working out myself for quite some time before I got a personal trainer. But I wanted to focus on my core and every time I tried, I hurt myself. So I figured I needed a professional. That first workout was an eye opener. You think you have been doing a good job, and you actually have been. But that first work out with a trainer kicks your butt! Mostly at least for me because we spent 45 minutes focusing on an area that I hadn't spent much time on. Love the things she showed me to do but it took me a while to be able to do most of it and be able to move the next day. Great workout though.

Karen R.
on 8/7/13 5:36 pm
RNY on 04/14/13

Have you had a good result with your training?  I'll tell you--it's two days later and I'm still in a lot of pain.  I literally can't lower myself into a chair.  Those squats killed me!

jeterway
on 8/7/13 8:28 pm
Yes the things that she has me doing are starting to show some progress. I had to break up what she gave me and slowly incorporate it into my old workout routine. When I first started out, I had to start that slow as well and gradually build up. Same thing with this. Another thing to remember is that even though you are sore, you should stretch out those muscles. While it is a little painful, it will help loosen those muscles and get you relief sooner. Have fun.

JoAnn

LadyLilMax
on 8/7/13 10:53 am - Retirement Ville, AZ

Karen, 

Good for you and thanks for the laugh.  Oh gosh, I sure admire you and am looking so forward to seeing your pictures!  One of your "hot" trainer would probably be welcome as well, LOL!

So proud of you and you are just doing so awesome!

Congrats and keep us posted!

RNY 12/11/12  HW:230   SW:220   GW:140   CW:130  5ft 1

Karen R.
on 8/7/13 5:41 pm
RNY on 04/14/13

Hee!  If I don't laugh, I'll cry.  I can't even express how sore my legs are, even two days later.  I can't sit down!  I kind of fall into chairs.  My quads feel like they're on fire.  I would normally be working out again tonight, but we're off for Eid and the gym is closed.  Thank God!  Mark would have to carry me out afterwards otherwise.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 289 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 211 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 280 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 144 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?