Denied Health Insurance after RNY

jlewis1981
on 8/15/13 1:14 pm - FL

So I have decided to return to school this fall and have left my employer. Since I am going full-time, I am required to carry health insurance, which is typical and one would think is no big deal. Well I applied for a plan with Aetna and was denied because I had bypass surgery this year. What a crock of crap! Now I have to go on the Universities' plan which will be about $250/mth or I can COBRA my old United plan for $353/mth. Yes, I am very happy with my results from surgery, but who ever thought it would be used against us for insurance later in life?

-Jeff-

ebtiger24
on 8/15/13 1:33 pm - AL
RNY on 12/13/12 with

You should be able to buy something through the exchange after October 1st.  There will not be any pre-existing conditions on those. 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/15/13 1:49 pm - OH

Yes, unfortunately, many people run into this.  It seems to be very common for insurance companies to deny coverage for 3 or 5 years after gastric bypass or DS (I am not sure about the sleeve).  It will be interesting to see what the "exchanges" really end up offering and at what price.  Unfortunately, I am not particularly optimistic about the cost.  At least you have the option of taking the insurance through the university.  Many others have not had anything to fall back upon.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

ebtiger24
on 8/15/13 9:03 pm - AL
RNY on 12/13/12 with

The exchanges are the only thing about the Affordable Care Act I like. I at least like the idea of them. It will be interesting to see in practice what it's like. I live in a state where 1 insurance company has about 90% of the business. It's slim pickings for anyone seeking non-group insurance. 

PetHairMagnet
on 8/15/13 11:34 pm
RNY on 05/13/13
On August 16, 2013 at 4:03 AM Pacific Time, ebtiger24 wrote:

The exchanges are the only thing about the Affordable Care Act I like. I at least like the idea of them. It will be interesting to see in practice what it's like. I live in a state where 1 insurance company has about 90% of the business. It's slim pickings for anyone seeking non-group insurance. 

What are 'exchanges'? I am unaware of this and having an issue with our insurance ending in Nov and I am hitting brick wall after brick wall. Grrrrrr

Thanks!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/16/13 11:38 am - OH

It is basically a group of government-regulated healthcare insurance plans available in your state.  The idea is that you can compare the different coverages and costs available and choose a health car plan that meets the government mandated coverage.  The problem (well, problem number 1) is that MANY states have refused to set up the exchanges themselves, so the Feds have to do it, and by most accounts everything is running behind and many of the exchanges won't be set up by the Oct 1 enrollment date. Problem #2 is that a number of major insurance companies are pulling out of some states entirely rather than participate in the exchange (which mandates that they cannot charge someone with certain medical conditions more than healthy individuals, cannot charge women of chidbearing age more than men of the same age, etc.).  Aetna and United Healthcare have already announced they are pulling out of the individual insurance market in California, 

You can go to the healthcare.gov website to find out if your state is one of the 34 (I think that's the number) states that refused to administer the exchange.  If the Feds are administering plans for your state, that will be the website for you to "shop" for insurance.

Lora

PetHairMagnet
on 8/16/13 9:25 pm
RNY on 05/13/13

VERY helpful--thank you!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

purpleswingline
on 8/15/13 1:52 pm - Fayetteville, AR
RNY on 08/26/13

I don't understand why you have to have insurance to go back to school?

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/15/13 1:53 pm - OH

Most universities require it.

Lora

purpleswingline
on 8/15/13 1:57 pm - Fayetteville, AR
RNY on 08/26/13

Really, it's been awhile since my daughter went.  I don't remember that but things have changed since she was in school.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 289 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 211 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 280 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 144 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 211 views