Sugar intake each day....MFP says I have WAY too much...

Amanda M.
on 8/17/13 11:38 am
RNY on 01/18/13

I have been trying to utilize my fitness pal more because my weight loss took a complete stand still, and I had even gained a few pounds. I have been tracking every day, and I have met my calorie goals of being under 1200 each day, I have been getting over 70 grams of protein each day, and my fat has been well under goal. However, MFP says my goal for sugar content is 24 grams. I have consistently been well about double that each day. For breakfast I eat a tub of greek yogurt with some protein granola, and I eat one piece of fruit a day. Adding that to the standard sugar in my foods here and there, it adds up really fast. I know sugar can be bad for us and can also lead to dramatically slowed weight loss. But I also know that natural sugars, such as in fruit, are not as bad....so am I okay with this level of sugar intake each day? My "artificial sugar" intake today was 12 grams, plus 11 grams for the granola (I don't know if any of that is natural or not?). I then had 6 grams for my greek yogurt and 15 grams for my pear I ate. Am I hurting my weight loss by having this amount of sugar? Any advice or insight is appreciated! Thank you!

poet_kelly
on 8/17/13 11:46 am - OH

What you're doing sounds fine to me.  I see a big difference between added sugar like sucrose or high fructose corn syrup and the naturally occuring sugars in milk (lactose) or fruit (fructose).

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Amanda M.
on 8/17/13 12:34 pm
RNY on 01/18/13

Thank you, Kelly! I always appreciate your feedback (and I really love it when you think I am doing okay, haha). 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/17/13 12:14 pm - OH

24g seems a little low when you have to take natural sugars into consideration.  I eat enough dairy and fruit that I am sure I get more than that every day and it hasn't hurt maintaining my weight.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Amanda M.
on 8/17/13 12:33 pm
RNY on 01/18/13

I thought 24g seemed really low too. But all of the goals it sets are based on my current weight. It has actually been relatively difficult to stay under 1,200 calories a day lately now that my appetite and ability to eat are getting closer to normal. I am not too sure how accurate MFP's goals are for my real needs, but it says at 1200 calories a day, I should lose 1.4 pounds per week. So we will see how that works. 

Thank you for your input!

cajungirl
on 8/17/13 12:38 pm
If that's a typical day I wouldn't worry too much. Yogurt will naturally have sugar and fruit does too. If it concerns you maybe try berries instead of the pear the sugar should be less in berries.

Or better yet give the fruit a rest for a week and eat fresh veggies and see if your weight loss increases.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

Amanda M.
on 8/17/13 12:46 pm
RNY on 01/18/13

Oh, my weight loss had stopped because I was making awful choices. I started eating more than I should, I was snacking and grazing and eating just overall poor choices. I deserted the protein first rule, I wasn't taking my vitamins. I knew it was horrible, but I couldn't make myself stop. So I started tracking again and it has completely straightened me out. My dietician says tracking turns me into an obsessive freak (in nicer terms of course) and I shouldn't do it. But apparently I need to. Since starting tracking again, I have lost the 5 pounds I gained and also lost an additional 3. I have also been taking my vitamins consistently again and getting all my protein and fluids in. I apparently need to track to be a good girl. 

My dietician had set a goal for me to get at least one fruit and one veggie in a day. So I have been working on that. I was getting my veggies but not my fruits. So yeah....I have been trying to get at least one serving of each a day. It is honestly kind of difficult to get them in without having high sugars and/or carbs. 

Bibo
on 8/18/13 5:56 am

I was told that any serving portion that had more than 5g of any kind of sugar (natural or otherwise) 5 g of fat was too high.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 384 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 357 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 321 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 132 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 3 replies · 109 views
Recent Topics