TSA

AnchorsAweigh
on 8/18/13 11:46 am

When I go through security at the airport my staples set off the scanner about half the time; then I have to get checked out to make sure I'm not hiding anything. I'm curious, how often do you 'beep' when you go through airport security? It seems odd to me that sometimes I do and sometimes I don't.

illinois Gama D.
on 8/18/13 11:50 am

HI, yes I do set them off, I have plates and screws in  both feet and one ankle, I have two artificial knees, it is almost embarrassing!! although ORTHO gave me a card to carry, they still scan me , then there is the pacemaker, OMG, takes forever , but we get through it with laughter:)

Rny 2003

come join the new R&R 3.0, where the fun is:)

angeleigh
on 8/18/13 12:19 pm - angier, NC
RNY on 09/17/12

I got lucky this last time I took a flight I ended up in the full body scanner both there and back. it was funny, they didnt go off, they could see them but just asked about it.  they gave me a hard time on my photo id, since I dont look like my license picture anymore.

Follow me on Pinterest!  SW/254 HW/276 CW/142  

Pictures: Pre-op, 1 year post op, 2 years post op.

illinois Gama D.
on 8/18/13 12:25 pm

I hear you on that!! I finally gave in and re did my license twice during my weigh loss period, :)

Rny 2003

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/18/13 12:40 pm - OH

I have NEVER set it off, and someone specifically asked my surgeon about that possibility and she said it wouldn't be an issue.  Not sure why it is for you.  I would think the staple material is pretty standard. Maybe it is the type of scanners you are going through?  I have been through the Baltimore, Washington Reagan, Atlanta, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Dayton, and Columbus airports since my surgery and never set any off.

I will now with my artificial knee, though!

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

illinois Gama D.
on 8/18/13 12:44 pm

Yep you will, it was so freaky the first time, now I just know it is coming, I have the cards in my hand , then they will scan me & see , sure enough she isn't full of **** with her cards in hand,!! I don't have a problem with it, I am sure If I was behind me and I showed my cards, they said ok, I would have  heart failure, I know they are all doing a great job out there!!

Rny 2003

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/18/13 10:59 pm - OH

I didn't get any kind of card.  The ortho's PA jokingly said "show them your scar"... which, on a serious note, is fine if I'm wearing a skirt, but I usually fly in jeans, so I would have to drop my pants to do that.

Lora

illinois Gama D.
on 8/19/13 12:00 am

LMAO< got a visual, The card is useless, they are still going to check you over, I just like them to see there are honest people out there and not always a threat:)

Rny 2003

saterry
on 8/19/13 12:18 am - IN
Revision on 10/03/13

They are looking for drugs too so if you drop your pants Laura you might get arrested for CRACK !    

SRVG 1997 SW 301   Revision to RNY 10/3/13 SW 247 GW 130  Ht 5'8

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/19/13 12:52 am - OH

Lora

Most Active
Recent Topics