Did someone stay with you at the hospital?

jaesueray
on 8/21/13 8:47 pm
RNY on 09/04/13

My surgery is 9/4 and i already have friends that want to visit me in the hospital.

What did your family/friends do? Did they stay by your bedside the whole time?

was it distracting having them there or did you need more help than the

hospital nurses could give? or did you not want people around until you got home...

My hospital is 30 miles from my home and i was wondering how my family are going to be and what the hospital

will allow.

I am probably over thinking the whole thing...but the closer my surgery gets the more questions i have.

Jan

ebtiger24
on 8/21/13 9:04 pm - AL
RNY on 12/13/12 with

I had someone stay with me. Your abdomen will be very sore and it is difficult to get up and down.  While you need to get up it's nice to have someone get you a glass of water without the struggle. 

AlohaJen
on 8/21/13 9:08 pm
RNY on 09/05/12

My surgery was almost a year ago. We live in Pittsburgh and all of our family is in SC or TX. My husband did stay with me the first night, as I was in alot of pain and the pain meds were not working. I was only in for 2 nights and believe me, I did NOT feel up to any visitors.... In my opinion and experience, I was dealing with the reality of what I had just done, dealing with the pain and the unexpected drain that I had and trying to get in some liquids.  Definitely not a social gathering time..... Plus you need to try to walk as soon as your are able as this helps so much with all the gas pains too.....  If I were you, I would ask them to give you a week.... it made all the difference for me!  Good Luck to you!!!  It is worth it !!!

HW 304   SW 258  CW 199  GW  160?

karenp8
on 8/21/13 9:21 pm - Brighton, IL

My husband left and went home when I was good and awake. I was only in the hospital the one night and did just fine be myself. I spent most of my time walking the halls. The nurses joked that they were going to put me to work!

saterry
on 8/21/13 9:25 pm - IN
Revision on 10/03/13

My friends said they want to visit so they can catch me with no makeup, my hair a mess and possibly a few stray chin hairs

I work with some pretty crazy people      NO ONE is going to know my date of surgery !

SRVG 1997 SW 301   Revision to RNY 10/3/13 SW 247 GW 130  Ht 5'8

blopez579
on 8/21/13 10:23 pm
RNY on 09/11/13

Only one friend/distant cousin has mentioned visiting me.  She had bypass years ago, and since then, the body lift.  I wouldn't mind her coming, as she will know what I'm going through. 

Maybe my best friend in the world could come too, but I wouldn't want anyone else except hubbie for as long as he wishes.  Who knows if we will have the easy time or the really rough time? 

I especially don't want peeps from work to go.  I might be a weenie, or a meenie afterwards, and wouldn't want them to see that~

~Barbara

Jacob H.
on 8/21/13 10:39 pm - CA

I was in the hospital for over a week, and it was 120 miles from my house. On the first day it was a little embarrassing because of all the tubes coming out and how much I was exposed, but after that I stopped caring about how freakish I looked and welcomed anyone who would visit, especially while I couldn't move. I can't remember how many people walked in and the first thing I asked them was if they could scratch my back, I couldn't get to it be because of the iv's. 

Oxford Comma Hag
on 8/21/13 10:50 pm
No, I looked forward to the chance to sleep and heal. DH stopped by and visited for a few minutes when he was working in the area. The nurses were there for any help. I followed the same procedure whrn I had my hysterectomy.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

triciaanderson17
on 8/21/13 11:16 pm - WA
My husband stayed with me. It was good because he could remember the instructions I may have forgotten.

Day_dream_believer
on 8/21/13 11:45 pm

It has never been an option for someone to stay with me.  We don't live close to family and my husband needs to be at home to watch the children.  When I had my RNY he we in the middle of a huge project at work.  He was there the day of surgery, but went home that night.  The next day he visited for a few hours and then went home to be with the children.  It would have been helpful to have someone spend the night.  I had great difficulty getting out of bed and walking.  The nursing staff was never available to help me walk the halls the first time out of bed.  I also hated to bother them everytime I needed to get up to go to the bathroom.

I would not have wanted anyone there but close family.  

Most Active
Recent Topics