The Food Network

Karen R.
on 8/23/13 9:56 pm
RNY on 04/14/13

I get satellite TV over here in the Middle East.  The programming is mixed--tons of Arabic stuff, largely from Egypt and Lebanon; some Turkish programming that's been dubbed in to Arabic; British shows (mostly from BBC and ITV) and American.  A lot of the series are a year or two behind and often, because they run the same shows six or seven nights a week, you get stuff you've already seen before.  So in an effort to keep myself amused, I've been watching shows I wouldn't usually watch.

I've been tuning into the Food Network and discovered I love Chopped (I'd never seen it before!) and have become fascinated by Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives.  Pre-surgery, the kind of food they feature here--stick to your ribs, American comfort food--would have been right up my alley.  But now, when I watch the show, all I can think about is, 'Man, that would make me so sick!'

I don't dump, so it's not that I'm fearful of that.  But so much of the food they focus on is really super-duper rich.  I can't imagine taking much more than a bite or two of any of it.  Last night, they had an episode where they spotlighted a really delicious looking chicken and dumplings recipe (which I used to love!) only now, watching it, I got faintly queasy.  Ditto for a slab of ribs they featured slathered in brown sugar and honey.  I'm sure it tastes good, but I can't imagine eating it.

Does anyone else find their perceptions changing in this way?

5'4" | Pre Surgery BMI:  40.7 | Current BMI:  20.8 | SW:  237 |  CW:  121 |  GW:  125

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Ingrid K.
on 8/23/13 10:07 pm - Canada
A little off topic but what brings you to the middle east? I love different cultures and would love to visit there. The food that used to comfort me doesn't anymore. Now I think of how painful it would be to eat it. Behaviour modification at its finest . Take care.
Karen R.
on 8/23/13 10:14 pm
RNY on 04/14/13

I've been over here for the last two and a half years, working for an American company.  I really like it.  It's such a melting pot.  I've met some truly great people.  I even had my surgery here, which had its pluses and minuses.  This time of year, it's brutally hot (it's about 3:15pm here and the temp is 104 degrees--it was probably close to 110 earlier in the day when I was out, running errands), but that should begin to change come October.

5'4" | Pre Surgery BMI:  40.7 | Current BMI:  20.8 | SW:  237 |  CW:  121 |  GW:  125

Ingrid K.
on 8/23/13 10:20 pm - Canada
Ya, that is hot!!! Do you find it easier to handle the heat after your weight loss? I used to really suffer in the heat, but find it better now. Although, in Toronto we have had a relatively cool summer.

Karen R.
on 8/23/13 11:09 pm
RNY on 04/14/13

I notice I get cold in air conditioning where I didn't before.  But I don't know that this crazy heat is made all that much better by the weight loss.  I still run from air conditioning to air conditioning wherever possible.  :-)

LilyBugsMommy
on 8/23/13 10:08 pm - Kingston, Canada
RNY on 03/12/13

Totally! We have always watched The Food Network & I used to think how much I would have loved to try the meals. Now, and this just happened last night, lol, I say to my husband, things like, how could anyone eat that?? Or, look how big that is or, holy cow, that would be so rich/heavy....ew! Definitely looking at food completely differently these days :)

Referral to Ottawa: Jan/11 Info Session: May/11 Nurse: Feb/12 Dietician/Behavourist/Abdominal Scan: Apr/12 Pre-op Education Class: Feb. 6/13 Meet Surgeon  Feb.15/13 Surgery with Dr. Raiche March 12/13!!

The race isn't given to the swift nor the strong, but it's given to the ones who endure it to the end...

Karen R.
on 8/23/13 10:15 pm
RNY on 04/14/13

Oh yeah!  The portion size!!  They were putting out entrees last night that were meat plus three "vegetables" (mac 'n cheese is a veggie--who knew?!).  The plate was enormous.  I couldn't believe it.

Glad to know I'm not alone.

karenp8
on 8/23/13 10:52 pm - Brighton, IL

I'm the same way. Most of the stuff makes me queasy just to look at it. I stopped to get hubby Popeye's chicken the other night and had to put down the car window because the smell was making me nauseous!

Karen R.
on 8/23/13 11:10 pm
RNY on 04/14/13

I guess that's a good thing, though, right?  It's like a built in sensor or something--stay away!  :-)

TXKashmir
on 8/24/13 1:16 am - Grand Prairie, TX

Oh, Karen, there is a show that comes on the Travel Channel called "Man vs. Food". It is about this guy who travels to different restaurants that have eating challenges where you try to literally eat POUNDS of things like steaks, hamburgers, burritos, etc. I love this show, but sometimes watching him get so full and uncomfortable is painful!

Debbie
Keeping track of my progress without a scale...Starting size: 28-Current size: 6-Goal size: 14

sand SAND...it's not a club...it's a frame of mind...

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 66 replies · 346 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 61 replies · 409 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 514 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 308 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 66 replies · 346 views