Reached my goal, but what next?

pjw19_65
on 9/2/13 10:11 am

I am 10 months out and at 8 months I was allowed to have half a slice of wheat bread.  At 9 months I was allowed to drink a little carbonated soda with water.  It didn't say whether or not it was suppose to be caffeinated or not, but it did say it should be sugar free so I drank my first eight ounces of sugar free, decaffeinated soda.  Does anyone know if and when we are allowed to drink caffeinated again?  I also have had a little cool whip from time to time, but I would like to know if we are allowed sugar free vanilla ice cream or something along those lines? I've heard that after a year, pills no longer have to be crushed--is this true?  And when can we have baked potato chips or any potato chips for that matter.  I have an upcoming appointment with my NUT, but I'm just looking for guidance as to what's myth and truth, and what you were allowed to have at your 10th month mark.  I have also reached my goal weight of 155lbs. and adhere to pretty strict diet guidelines so, please don't try to convince me that I need emergency help for even thinking about these foods because my Psy. doc says it is normal to think about it but not to linger over it. 

kinny09
on 9/2/13 10:17 am - New York, NY
RNY on 06/11/13

First, congrats on reaching your goal weight!!!! Everyone's plan is different, I am 12 weeks out right now, and under my plan, to answer your questions:

- Caffeine was allowed in moderation from day 1 (I am a coffee drinker, have had maybe 2-3 diet cokes total since my surgery as well, both approved by my dietician and surgeon).

- I crushed pills until I went home from the hospital then was given clearance to swallow pills again (about the size of a tylenol or smaller, otherwise to cut it in half if large).

- Not sure on the chips, my carbs are still very minimal as everything I eat is protein heavy and if I have room, a little veg.

HW: 306         Day of Surgery: 299         Current Weight: 172

poet_kelly
on 9/2/13 10:37 am - OH

Some people prefer to avoid caffeine forever, while others drink caffeinated coffee or tea while they are still in the hospital recovering from their  WLS.  I don't know what your nutritionist recommends, of course.  My opinion is that caffeine should not be a problem in moderation, provided you don't have an ulcer (caffeine can make ulcers worse, though it won't cause an ulcer if you don't already have one) or a lot of anxiety or severe insomnia.

There is no such thing as sugar free ice cream, since ice cream is made with milk and milk contains sugar in the form of lactose.  You can purchase no sugar added ice cream, however.  Again, I don't know what your nutritionist recommends, but you are allowed to have whatever you want to have.  You're an adult and no one can prevent you from eating whatever you want to eat.  My opinion, as with most things, is that in moderation it should not be a problem.

Pills do not have to be crushed ever, according to the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery.  I was swallowing pills whole 12 hours after my surgery with no problem.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

PetHairMagnet
on 9/2/13 10:46 am, edited 9/2/13 10:46 am
RNY on 05/13/13

My husband was given coffee in the hospital the morning after his surgery, so he's always had it, from day one, literally. I have it less than I used to, but I do buy the Columbian Coffee by Isopure for my shakes.

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Jilly Bean
on 9/2/13 10:48 am - IN
RNY on 07/09/12

I eat a "normal" diet (except sweets).  Like Kelly said, it's all about moderation.

Surgery weight:  232 lbs. / Goal: 145 lbs. Height:  5'5"     Fat? Ain't nobody got time for that.

nfarris79
on 9/3/13 2:20 am - Germantown, MD

The plan I'm on was pretty strict for the 1st year but after that, I felt kinda lost too. Since then, it's been "how do I shape the rest of my life?". Really, it's individual. Like Kelly said, you're an adult so what you "can" have vs what would be a good idea...Well, you can have anything you want, but what you CHOOSE will be based on a lot of different & individual factors. Some people can do any food in moderation; others have food addictions or disordered eating to deal with. Some have physiological reasons to abstain from certain foods (RH, allergies), and others abstain from trigger foods for MH reasons or ethical/lifestyle reasons. It's good that you're meeting w/ your NUT and continuing with your psychiatrist - - both are the areas to focus on for the long-haul!

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

Day_dream_believer
on 9/3/13 2:44 am

Congratulations on your success.

I have been drinking coffee and diet coke since about 6 months out in small amounts.  Start slow.    The caffeine didn't bother me, but the carbonation did.  I drink coffee every morning now.

I use sugar free ice cream as an occasional treat.  I make my own whip cream to eat with fresh fruit.  (again as a treat, not all the time) I don't do potato chips because as the commercial says, I can't eat just one.  

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 311 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 228 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 294 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 149 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 2 replies · 28 views
Recent Topics