New and Needing Guidance

jennifer676
on 9/2/13 12:52 pm
Hello! I'm new here, and wanted to say hello and ask some questions of those of you who have already done this.

I currently weigh 380 pounds, and my dr is recommending RNY surgery for me. I am excited at the prospect of losing weight and regaining my health, but the idea of this surgery also scares me. My main fears are:

A) scar tisue at the sites where the intestines are rerouted,

B) Not being able to take certain medicines like Advil, etc, and

C) Vitamin deficiencies

I know I have to weigh the risks against the risksof rremaining morbidly obese, but I'm still scared. Can anyone give me any words of wisdom or possibly calm my fears?

Thank-you!!
Melissa Nicely
on 9/2/13 1:21 pm - Chesapeake, OH
RNY on 05/06/13

Congrats on thinking about having surgery. I am only a 4 months out from surgery but I wouldn't change a thing. Yes you won't be able to take Advil or Alive or any other Nsaids but there are other meds out there you can take instead of those. Yes sometimes scar tissue can develope from the surgery, but then again you run that risk with any surgery. If you take your vitamins every day like you should, spaced out threw the day and not all at once you should be ok. Just don't forget to get your bloodwork drawn. My DR has mine done before surgery, 3 months, 6 months, 9 months, 1 year, 18 months, 2 years and then every year after that. If you have any more questions don't be afraid to post. This site is great for finding answers.

Jacob H.
on 9/2/13 2:13 pm - CA

It's been awhile since my surgery, I am very grateful for it. As long as you follow the basic post-op guidelines you shouldn't have any problems. I try to follow the basics but lets be honest, we're all human. Occasionally I'll have a couple ibuprofen when my back is hurting. I'll endulge in sweets, and occasionally I'll have ice cream(the intestinal issues afterward for me are worth it occasionally, don't judge). My "closest call" so far was when my old PCP, put me on Celebrex for 6 months due to a shoulder injury. Both he and I were unaware of the "no NSAID " rule. After an endoscopy I was fine and found a better dr suited to my needs. After 10 years I have had the one close call, but my quality of life is far superior to what it was, it's almost safe for me to say that I've out lived my life expectancy had I not had the surgery. What ever problems I might have later on, I don't really care because the past 10 years have truly been a blessing, and well worth it.

True victory comes at the very end, when you can say, " I lived, and will gladly do it again." View "failure" as a setback, and meet each accomplishment with a larger goal.

MsBatt
on 9/2/13 2:19 pm

Before you make your final decision, research a form of WLS called the Duodenal Switch. The DS has basically the same stomach as the Sleeve, plus an intestinal bypass similar to, but more effective than, that of the RNY. Because it preserves the pylorus and has no remnant, 'blind' stomach, it also allows you to still use NSAIDs as needed. And it has the very best long-term, maintained weight-loss stats for patients of any size, but especially so for those of us with a BMI of 50 or more. (And I'm guessing that at 380 pounds, your BMI is probably greater than 50.) The DS is also the best form of WLS for treating or preventing co-morbs like diabetes and high cholesterol.

Scar tissue is a risk any time you have surgery, but I've rarely heard of anyone having complications stemming from the intestinal anastomosis. The stoma that connects the RNY pouch to the intestine is fairly subject to strictures (excess scar tissue), but it seems easily corrected by dilation.

Vitamin deficiencies are a risk, but not something most people suffer from---IF they're diligent about taking their vitamins and supplements, and getting regular bloodwork done. The really important thing is to track your lab values YOURSELF. Don't rely on your doctor, make a spreadsheet and enter your values every time you get labs done. This will enable you to spot any trends before things get serious.

chris_ruff
on 9/3/13 12:41 am
RNY on 04/07/09 with

and correct me if i'm wrong, but with the DS, one can take NSAIDS. i think  that's important because you never know if you'll have muscle or joint issues as you age.

--Christina
MsBatt
on 9/3/13 6:43 am

Oh yes---that was one of the BIG selling points for me. I can't function without my daily Aleve.

That said, NSAIDs pose some risk for everyone, especially people who've had trouble with ulcers or gastric bleeds of any kind. My mom, a non-op, hasn't been able to tolerate them for...oh, probably 40+ years now. Which is really sad, since she's recently developed some awesome arthritis in her knee. Anti-inflammatories would help her SO much moe than the hydrocodone she's currently swacked out on.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 458 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 530 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 511 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 400 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 0 replies · 1 views
Recent Topics