HELP! I am at work and feeling bad!

Michele1az
on 9/4/13 3:42 am - Mesa, AZ
RNY on 08/26/13 with

I am 9 days post-op revision to RNY, and I returned to work yesterday and felt great until I got home. I felt yucky the rest of the night,  after having a protein shake.

Now today, I have not felt good all morning. I have been drinking, drinking, drinking. I had a yogurt, but I a getting the sweats and I feel lousy. I don't know what to do. I even took my nausea med, but I think that has made me TOO tired now.

Michele in Arizona

Surgery:8-26-13

angeleigh
on 9/4/13 3:51 am - angier, NC
RNY on 09/17/12

How much sugar was in the yogurt? Also is your shake made with milk? that might be causing some of the yucky feeling. Some people become lactose intolerant after RNY.

As far as the yogurt if it was high in sugars or carbs you might be dumping from it.

Follow me on Pinterest!  SW/254 HW/276 CW/142  

Pictures: Pre-op, 1 year post op, 2 years post op.

Michele1az
on 9/4/13 3:55 am - Mesa, AZ
RNY on 08/26/13 with

I will have to check on the Milk and Sugar, but with dumping wouldn't I be vomiting or having to use the restroom a lot?? I have done neither of those, just sweating.

Michele in Arizona

angeleigh
on 9/4/13 4:03 am - angier, NC
RNY on 09/17/12

not everyone gets the same symptoms. For me I might start to get really hot, sweating, the foamies, then about 30 mins later I might have to make a run for the bathroom. Only things that really bother me are Milk, more then 12 grams of sugar, and anything mint.

Symptoms of dumping syndrome are most common during a meal or within 15 to 30 minutes following a meal. They include:

Gastrointestinal

• Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Abdominal cramps
  • Diarrhea
  • Feeling of fullness

Cardiovascular

• Flushing
  • Dizziness, lightheadedness
  • Heart palpitations, rapid heart rate

Signs and symptoms also can develop later, usually one to three hours after eating. This is due to the dumping of large amount of sugars into the small intestine (hyperglycemia). In response, the body releases large amounts of insulin to absorb the sugars, leading to low levels of sugar in the body (hypoglycemia). Symptoms of late dumping can include:

• Sweating
  • Hunger
  • Fatigue
  • Dizziness, lightheadedness
  • Confusion
  • Heart palpitations, rapid heart rate
  • Fainting

A study of more than 1,100 people who had their stomachs surgically removed found that about two-thirds experienced early symptoms and about a third experienced late symptoms of dumping syndrome. Some people experience both early and late signs and symptoms.

No matter when problems develop, however, they may be worse following a high-sugar meal, especially one that's rich in table sugar (sucrose) or fruit sugar (fructose).

Follow me on Pinterest!  SW/254 HW/276 CW/142  

Pictures: Pre-op, 1 year post op, 2 years post op.

jmhuston
on 9/4/13 5:08 am - TX

I am 7 weeks out and I just ate some lunch meat and cheese at work. Might have eaten too fast I only get 30 minutes. I feel so bad right now. Feel like a knife is sticking in my chest. This has only happened 1 time before after tuna.   I feel so bad too. Hope it goes away soon

Dee.spunk
on 9/4/13 6:47 am - Sacramento, CA
Sounds like you might be sensitive to your protein drink and the yogurt. Could be lactose intolerance, could be dumping. I don't throw up when I dump or get diarrhea when I dump (at least not recently). But I do start swearing, get nauseous, and just feel yucky.

Height:5'1.5 RNY:11/30/11 HW:307 SW:234 CW:136 GW:140 (LOST 73 Lbs. PRE-OP)

sonyamarie75
on 9/4/13 1:40 pm - OH
RNY on 08/20/13 with

I am having the same issues you are. I can't tolerate any dairy, even the unflavored greek yogurt. I also am not tolerating the protein shakes very well. I get super nauseated.... feel a little dizzy, break out ina cold sweat, dry heave.... I did graduate to soft foods today anyways per the doctor, and it really helped. Are you allowed to eat any soft foods yet or are you still on full liquids. I got to eat yogurt with my full liquids which is why I am asking. 

Sonya B, Toledo, Ohio- RNY  08/20/13  

Michele1az
on 9/5/13 8:30 am - Mesa, AZ
RNY on 08/26/13 with

I have started soft foods, which is much better, but I am working through that, too. :)

Michele in Arizona

averybyrd
on 9/5/13 5:33 am

My liquid vitamin does that to me a couple times a week. It's terrible. It feels like fire is coming from my chest up through my face - like a bad sunburn. Then I get sick. So not fun!

The only thing I've found to help is throwing up. Even then I feel bad all the next day. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 389 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 495 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 477 views