Hard question to Answer

Jacob H.
on 9/6/13 1:38 am - CA

My children, 4 and 5, are getting to the age of realization that they don't have a cool scar like dad. So far the answer of "dad needed a lot of help from the dr to be healthy" is ok. Has anyone else dealt with this? They were born long after my surgery, but I'd like to make sure they know why it's best to eat healthy and stay active.

True victory comes at the very end, when you can say, " I lived, and will gladly do it again." View "failure" as a setback, and meet each accomplishment with a larger goal.

65rosesmom
on 9/6/13 1:49 am

I have a big scar from my vertical c-sections and have explained it as needing help to bring them into the world.  I don't think there is anything wrong with your approach....you could show them some before pictures and share how you've changed to have a healthier lifestyle.   

Heather   Mom to 3  
Surgery August 9, 2012
HW = 225, SW= 205, CW 135 

The Salty Hag
on 9/6/13 3:21 am
RNY on 05/20/13
I'm only 3.5 months out, and my kids are 20,16,13,13 so I could explain it to them easily.
I think your method works nicely for their ages.
I really think that by you already having been post-op when they were born and them being young, they already have a great advantage for a healthy lifestyle to be the norm.

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/6/13 4:42 am - OH

They are old enough that you could show them a picture of you before surgery and explain that you weighed too much and weren't healthy because you ate too much and ate too much sugar, and that you had to have surgery to help you get healthy again.  Then add that you want to make sure they eat properly so they don't get sick/unhealthy.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

(deactivated member)
on 9/6/13 5:14 am

I have two kids one is 20 and the other is 17. They are both normal weights.I have always made sure there were healthy options in the house.It is hard with tv and all of the sugar that is out there in the world.I think just keep doing what you are doing and they will be fine.Every age is different to. There isn't a handbook to raise children.Somedays I wish there was.I am sure if they follow you with your healthy life now they will be okay.I think teaching them moderation is key to.What you said about your scar is perfect to say.One thing I can say is hold onto them as long as you can they grow up so fast.

Most Active
Recent Topics