will swallowing ever feel normal?

Ms_Silly
on 9/9/13 7:19 am
I'm over food. Finally gotten to where I am introducing soft foods and I thought by now that swallowing would feel normal. Nope. I'm chewing chewing chewing but I feel like things are still uncomfortable going down. I definitely don't enjoy eating. But what ****** me off also is that when I drink water (small sips) swallowing feels uncomfortable then too. Does this ever change ???
ALSO I have a birth control implant in my arm, it's a 3 year birth control. I've had it now for a little over a year. I basically dipped having periods. Then... after surgery all of a sudden my body decides it's time for a period. So I'm on day 20 of my period add that to my already emotional experience. Ughhhhh.
PaintingJoy
on 9/9/13 7:43 am - GA
RNY on 05/20/13

I'm sorry you're having such a hard time.  I can't speak to the period ~ that wasn't a possible issue for me as I'd had a hysterectomy years ago.

But the swallowing was a problem.  My surgeon prescribed Nexium for me and told me that it would help get the swelling down while I recovered (I also had a hiatal hernia repair while in surgery for the RNY.)  He was right ~ the purple pill still helps and I'm a little more than 3 months out. 

It does get better!

Ms_Silly
on 9/9/13 8:15 am
I'm already taking nexium (to prevent ulcers). I just hope one day I'll feel normal when I swallow
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/9/13 8:20 am - OH

I would imagine that, yes, at some point you will be able to swallow normally.  Have you asked your surgeon about this, though?  It seems a little odd since the area they operated on is all the way at the bottom of the esophagus which really doesn't have anything to do with the swallowing mechanism and any discomfort from being intubated during surgery should have passed quite a while ago.

I never had any issue swallowing and I started soft food on Day Three.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Ms_Silly
on 9/9/13 8:41 am
I think I may be describing what I'm feeling poorly. It's not my actual throat that's bothering me. It's the way I can feel everything going down to the stomach and like food and liquid are pressing up against air. It's uncomfortableand makes eating and drinking undesirable
Jen75
on 9/9/13 12:01 pm
RNY on 07/18/13
You are not alone... I just posted the same question last week. Hopefully for both of us it will get better. I plan on talking to my surgeon about it next month and see what he says.
Ms_Silly
on 9/9/13 12:26 pm
How far are you out? I'm about 3 1/2 weeks. I'm definitely talking about it this upcoming appointment next Monday. I'm sure he'll blow me off and say it's normal. I'll shut up about it once it's a complaint of the past. But it just feels nasty!....to me.
Jen75
on 9/10/13 1:56 pm
RNY on 07/18/13
Almost 8 weeks out now. I still have pain with anything I eat or drink. It is like you said..it i****ting an air bubble and it needs to pu**** out.
Maggie May
on 9/9/13 1:23 pm
RNY on 08/21/13

I have the same experience swallowing. I have never been more aware of my body as I am after this surgery. I feel the liquid go down and it hits my pouch like a ton of bricks. My doctors office told me it was normal but it got harder for me then it got down right exruciating. I went in for my 2 week post op on Wednesday and took a sip in front of the PA and told her what I was feeling and she watched me double over when it hit my pouch. She ordered an endoscopy for the next day when she realized this wasn't normal post-op pain. They found a nasty ulcer so now I'm taking karafate to coat my esophagus and pouch but I'm still having that uncomfortable feeling when I swallow and the pressure in my chest from what I'm assuming is the liquid in my esophagus. I hope it gets better for us. Having an ulcer sucks, don't skip the anti-acid meds even if they are uncomfortable. It feels like someone is stabbing a knife right through me. 

Maggie May 

angeleigh
on 9/9/13 8:21 am - angier, NC
RNY on 09/17/12

Have you tried drinking warm liquids? Broth, SF hot cocoa, SF apple cider? I know for me, my throat was sore after surgery and I had a little swelling but it went away after the first week.

Follow me on Pinterest!  SW/254 HW/276 CW/142  

Pictures: Pre-op, 1 year post op, 2 years post op.

Most Active
Recent Topics