Having seconds thoughts about type of surgery

Amy, Daredevil
Extraordinaire

on 9/20/13 11:58 pm - Los Angeles, CA
DS on 08/06/13

Don't discount the third option: the duodenal switch (DS). The DS has malabsorption as well as the stomach of a VSG. One important difference between the RNY and the DS is that you retain your pyloric valve with the DS.

There are pros and cons for each surgery, of course. But if you're going to fully research WLS, you need to look into all options. 

:)

*DS with Dr. Ara Keshishian on 08/06/13* SW: 231 CW: 131 GW: 119 * Check out My YouTube Channel: AmysDSJourney *

PetHairMagnet
on 9/22/13 11:17 am
RNY on 05/13/13
On September 21, 2013 at 6:58 AM Pacific Time, amylucha wrote:

Don't discount the third option: the duodenal switch (DS). The DS has malabsorption as well as the stomach of a VSG. One important difference between the RNY and the DS is that you retain your pyloric valve with the DS.

There are pros and cons for each surgery, of course. But if you're going to fully research WLS, you need to look into all options. 

:)

I was told the DS was only for the super obese. One surgeon said it was for those with at least 250 lbs to lose. Is that not the case?

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Amy, Daredevil
Extraordinaire

on 9/24/13 4:22 am - Los Angeles, CA
DS on 08/06/13

Nope - even lightweights are getting it done. I had a BMI of about 48, but most insurance companies only require you to have at least a 40 BMI (or 35 BMI with comorbidities). 

Check out this site: http://www.dsfacts.com/

*DS with Dr. Ara Keshishian on 08/06/13* SW: 231 CW: 131 GW: 119 * Check out My YouTube Channel: AmysDSJourney *

KrisW47
on 9/21/13 9:17 am
I had rny november 2012. I too am 5'6" and was 269.5 starting weight. I was nervous right up to my surgery. It was the best thing I ever did for myself and I have no regrets. I am down 98 pounds and feel awesome. NSAIDS haven't been an issue. Stick with your gut instinct! You got this!

Most Active
Recent Topics