Having seconds thoughts about type of surgery

NadiaM
on 9/20/13 7:17 pm, edited 9/20/13 7:18 pm
It's 5am and I can't sleep! I have my surgery scheduled for October 1st (rny) and for some reason today I'm having second thoughts about maybe getting the sleeve. <br />
<br />
I spoke to somebody today who had the sleeve back in January with my surgeon and she's been doing great! Started around 220 and is now down to 160. I'm currently 260. <br />
<br />
I know the long term effect of malabsorption with rny and although I am 100% healthy and on no meds right now I just want to make sure I'm not doing a huge mistake for my health later on!<br />
<br />
I am really torn and feeling very confused - especially with my surgery being in less than 2 weeks. <br />
<br />
Some advice would be greatly appreciated!
Jenn C.
on 9/20/13 8:38 pm - Naugatuck, CT
RNY on 10/21/13
I totally feel you! What is your BMI? I only ask because mine is around 49. My last weigh in was 361 but I'm also 5'11" 1/2. If I were 260 I'd probably wouldn't qualify for WLS or just barely. If you are truly second guessing it then maybe you need to talk to your surgeon and go over your options. Its a major life decision and you have a right to choose what you want! Good luck! You still have time!

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.

Jenn C.
on 9/20/13 8:42 pm - Naugatuck, CT
RNY on 10/21/13
Oh forgot to add....maybe the factors with your BMI is because its high. Im not basing off facts. I'm not exactly sure...I'm at work so I am a bit loopy lol

Also maybe your diet choices? For instants I was told that I would be the WORST candidate for a lap band..even though I feel those are a waste of time. On the other hand, my boyfriend is a perfect candidate just by his diet choices/metabolism.

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.

NadiaM
on 9/20/13 11:05 pm
My bmi is 42 (5'6 and 260lbs). I think I'm a candidate for both.

I'm so torn and so close to surgery!!!
poet_kelly
on 9/20/13 9:36 pm - OH

Which type of surgery does your surgeon recommend for you?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

NadiaM
on 9/20/13 11:02 pm
My surgeon seems to be a fan of the rny - he is a well renown surgeon and I do trust his opinion but I just want to make sure I'm not hindering my body for the future if I ever need NSAIDs.

FYI, my bmi is 42 (5'6 and 260lbs).
KarenElaine
on 9/20/13 10:19 pm - Manteo, NC

Hi NadiaM,

I'm new to OH, blogging and WLS but I have decided It's what I need to and I hope to have it done soon.  Anyway, I don't have the experience some of the other bloggers have, but I'm also trying to decide rny vs sleeve.  Depending on what my surgeon will say I'm going for the rny because statistically I can get the best results.  I am 288 and need to lose as much as possible.  It's also the 'gold standard' of WLS and they've been doing it for so long that when I get to be 10 or 15 years out, I won't be alone.  The sleeve, by itself is still newish, and I think it's a good option, but there aren't people out there who have had it for many years.  When I first began even thinking about surgery, my uninformed opinion was to go for the lap band.  And now many surgeons are steering away from it.  So talk to your surgeon again, relax and be positive.  You'll have a good outcome no matter what you choose.

Good Luck!

NadiaM
on 9/20/13 11:07 pm
Thanks for reminding me why I chose rny! I'm just want to make the right choice!
Ceithlenn
on 9/20/13 11:49 pm - WI
RNY on 08/28/13

I felt the same way I went back and forth several times and ended up listening to my Doctor and why he recommended the rny for me vs the sleeve. Even the morning of the surgery the ping pong of am I doing the correct thing was going through my head. But in my life I have examples of individuals from both surgeries and those who had the rny over 5 years ago tell me they are happy with their decision where my 3 friends that had the sleeve at 4 years out are less so ( I can only attest to my friends experiences no others). Their opinions, struggles, realities, mixed with my doctors strong recommendation helped so much with my choice. 

I am happy with my choice, I still get scared but I think that is a good thing as it motivates me to do everything my doctor recommends for my health and welness from diet to vitamins. 

Good Luck in whatever surgery you deside. 

NadiaM
on 9/21/13 12:03 am
Thank you so much for your input!!! You actually really calmed my nerves!

I have been so comfortable with the idea of rny up to now, why switch at the 11th hour and possibly regret my decision?

The support is much appreciated!