raspy voice after intubation?

jenmcg
on 9/21/13 6:35 am - MN
RNY on 09/16/13
How long does it take for vocal cords to heal after surgery? My throat doesn't hurt, but my voice is super low and raspy...and not in a sexy way. Hubby can't hear me (bittersweet hehe)...when should I be concerned?
IrrepressibleSLP,
Mistress of Word...

on 9/21/13 6:54 am, edited 9/21/13 6:55 am - VA
RNY on 10/21/13

Hey Jen,  

Sorry your voice is hoarse. I'm a speech pathologist and I've worked in hospitals for 10 years and specialized in voice several years ago, so I do see this from time to time. Your vocal folds are probably swollen and irritated from the endotracheal tube rubbing between them. You typically won't have pain because the vocal folds themselves don't have pain receptors. How long were you intubated?  

I usually recommend giving it about a week and if your voice hasn't improved you should go see an ENT. When you are trying to speak, try to talk normally and avoid whispering because whispering actually is harder on your vocal folds and can make the situation worse.   

I'm curious .... If you say "eeeee" and hold it out for several seconds and turn your head to the right, then back to midline, take another breath and say "eeeee" again and turn it to the left, do you notice a change in the sound of your voice? Is it stronger or softer going one way vs the other? Does it stay the same?

jenmcg
on 9/21/13 8:07 am, edited 9/21/13 3:02 pm - MN
RNY on 09/16/13
Thanks for your response! It seems to get quieter even I turn my head to either side, but will ask my hubby. I have no idea how long I was intubated, but surgery was about an hour and a half. Last time I was tubed (tubal ligation, 3 years ago)I ended up with an abcess in my throat so this time around I'm more on the watch for something to flare up.
RNY on 10/21/13

Hmm, okay, that could be a good thing that you don't notice any significant changes with turning your head in either direction. Since I obviously cannot evaluate you, I can only conjecture at what is happening with you right now. Most likely you have edema (swelling) of your vocal folds from the irritation of the endotracheal tube. You typically see that with people who have prolonged intubations, but it can happen sometimes with short intubations, too. Have you noticed that you clear your throat a lot or feel that you have something stuck or tickling your throat? Do you have a history of reflux?

If you don't notice improvement over the next few days (approximately a week from your surgery date), I would definitely go see an ENT so they can take a look at your larynx and vocal folds to see what is going on and how they want to treat them.

Please let me know if I can be of any further help. 

tunenakatie
on 11/22/15 10:27 pm - MD
VSG on 09/02/15

Hi. Idk if you still get on here but im reallt hoping you do. I had sleeve surgery sept 2nd. My voice has been "hoarse" ever since. Im going to see an ent tmrw but was just curious if we could speak. If possible can u email me please. Tunenakatie@hotmail

Linda666
on 5/3/17 11:29 am

I've been living with my damaged voice since 2008, and I was transferred to a second hospital who, IMMEDIATELY removed the tube and told my family it had been totally unnecessary, which makes it that much more upsetting. I never thought I could do anything about it, I used to LOVE to sing. Today, the first thing I read on your site was to try singing eeee to the front, then turn your head to each side. I was SO SHOCKED! I turned to the left, my voice was fine, I turned to the right, it sounded like GRAVEL!! Does this mean my right vocal is damaged, and can it be repaired? Are ther things that I can do at home to help? I can't thank you enough, I've looked on line before and never seen this addressed. I feel like perhaps there's a light at the end of the tunnel. (I almost want to sing, but only on my left side!) Thanking you in advance for ANY help you can give, Linda Nolan?ð?'-??

PetHairMagnet
on 9/21/13 1:55 pm
RNY on 05/13/13

It took me 5 days to sound right, though my throat hurt terribly and it turned out I had a throat infection post-op from some 'difficulties' from the intubation. 

Go with the Kathleen Turner voice for a while. ;)

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

NewDayForTrixie
on 9/22/13 6:53 am

I think it took about 4 days before my voice was back.  I suggest keeping an eye on what the back of your throat and uvula look like - I ended up with an infection in my uvula and soft palette starting at day three and treated at day 6.  My PCP told me that throat trauma is very common after intubation, and trauma leaves you open to infection.

Good luck!

RNY on 10/21/13

Hey Jen!

How is your voice doing? I hope it's much better!

Most Active
Recent Topics