Water exercise

zealseal911
on 9/20/13 9:49 am - NY

So I just wanted to let everyone know that I have fallen in love with aquatic fitness. I am 350+ lbs. and being in the water really helps my joints. I would recommend this to anyone who hates regular exercise, but enjoys being in the water. I find that I get a really good workout with out feeling like I have over-done it (which is how I feel when I am on the treadmill or elliptical). The worst part abou****er exercise is the fear that comes when I change into my swimsuit and have to show my flabbiness to the public. The best advice that I can give about that is: your body will change into something that you don't mind showing to others, if you just stick with the exercise.... and "screw 'em"- just try to work through it and you will be golden. I was able to get a discounted rate at my local YMCA (65% off) because I am low-income.... but, even if you have to spend $30- $50 a month on a membership to a place that has a pool, it's totally worth it. I used to spend $50 a week on damn cigarettes. So, if you hate regular exercise- please please please give aqua fitness a try. Good luck to you all.

Susan G.
on 9/20/13 9:59 am
Swimming and water therapy are my favorite ways to exercise! I don't wear the traditional swimsuit though...waaaay to much stuff hanging out and swinging around. I wear swim capris and a rash guard...they hold things in. I order them at coolibar.com.
Sue G.            
zealseal911
on 9/20/13 10:01 am - NY

That's terrific! I will have to check out coolibar. Thanks for the heads up!

averybyrd
on 9/20/13 10:20 am

Water aerobics was what my surgeon recommended at my last appointment. I joined our gym just for that! I totally agree - wonderful!

I'm sure it's different other places, but in our class, some of the women wear shorts and tees over their swimsuits. Personally, I wouldn't because I think I'd be uncomfortable, but I do wear a swimsuit with a skirt. And my friend who goes with me wore a tanktop-like sportsbra under her swimsuit last time because she felt it was too low and not supportive enough. 

jamienichols22
on 9/20/13 11:46 am - MI

I am also low-income and got a discount at my local ymca for my family. I am extremely excited to be joining you as I have joint problems. I love your outlook on others with your swim suit

Jamie Nichols

HW:321    CW:263   GW:125 

I am a tiger who is earning her stripes!! 

stonerose
on 9/20/13 11:59 am - MI
RNY on 07/16/13

I started with aqua aerobics last January and moved on to lap swimming.  I have been doing it for 9 months and I don't think I've ever stuck to anything that long.  I have got it in my schedule to do 4 times a week for 30-45 minutes and I get upset if I miss it.  Feels so good!

C

Dr. Kibwe Weaver, Kalamazoo, MI RNY 7/16/13 SW 233/CW 168.8/GW130

Kaena1068
on 9/20/13 12:34 pm

Thanks for sharing that info!!  I am going to be looking into a place that offers underwater treadmill...

Best of luck!!! keep swimming!

meeshelle
on 9/20/13 10:06 pm
RNY on 03/04/13

That was the reason i quit my old gym and joined the Y was for the pool. I have always loved swimming and have not for 15 years because i didnt wanna wear a suit. Now i dont care i dont have the best legs  and thats my problem, BUT we are all at the Y to improve ourselves and no one looks twice at me so its all good. I am lovin it. I even bought 3 suits on sale this past month

Visit my blog as I travel this new developing road. :)

http://iveweightedalongtimeforthis.blogspot.com/

IrrepressibleSLP,
Mistress of Word...

on 9/20/13 11:28 pm, edited 9/21/13 2:34 am - VA
RNY on 10/21/13

Aquatic fitness is wonderful! The only time I have ever felt truly graceful is when I was swimming or doing water aerobics. I am looking forward to going again one day soon!

As for the whole swimsuit issue and not wanting anyone to see my jiggles, lumps, and bumps.... I got over that pretty quickly. I don't really give a damn what anyone thinks. We are all there for the same reason and we are just at different stages in our journey. If they want to judge, let them. I am there for me, NOT them. I feel the same way when I go to the beach. I am there because I love the sun, the feel of the sand, and playing in the ocean..... and I just happen to be fat. Oh well! People are always going to talk, judge, criticize, but I don't have to let what I think others are saying about me stop me from doing what makes ME happy. I have a mantra that I say to myself quite frequently.... "Don't let the *******s grind you down."

Glad you found something you love doing. Best wishes!

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 358 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 328 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 186 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 3 replies · 112 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 186 views