OT - seeing the oral surgeon today

poet_kelly
on 9/29/13 9:30 pm - OH

I am seeing the oral surgeon today to get what's left of this broken tooth extracted.  I had the choice of being sedated for the procedure or not and chose not because it's a lot more expensive for the sedation (and my insurance doesn't cover any of this) and so that I could drive myself home if I had to.  I was hoping I wouldn't have to, though, because a friend was supposed to be going with me but he canceled at the last minute (like 10:00 last night).

I'm all stressed out because I hate the dentist, it really triggers a lot of my PTSD stuff, plus my feelings are hurt because my friend canceled and I have to do it all alone.  At the same time, I feel angry at myself for counting on anyone to be there for me in the first place.  I should have known better.  This really sucks.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

PetHairMagnet
on 9/29/13 9:54 pm
RNY on 05/13/13

Oh wow--you are REALLY BRAVE! I would have to be sedated! I hope all goes well and you are given some great meds to take at home!

Sending you prayers, healing vibes and good thoughts!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

poet_kelly
on 9/29/13 9:56 pm - OH

I would be sedated if I had a choice.  I don't really have a choice because I have to drive myself home and I can't do that if I am sedated.  Plus cost really is a factor because all this dental work I need is going to total about $3,000, without the sedation, and I am on a very limited income.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

molly3613
on 9/30/13 12:30 am - TX
RNY on 01/24/13

Kelly:  I went though tooth extractions with both my 93 year old dad and my husband in the past months.  Neither one of,them were sedated and all went fine.  Dad had an old old old molar that couldn't be repaired so they pulled it.  First tooth loss for him in all his 93 years.  My husband had the same situation.  Just too hard to fix I guess.  We went to the oral surgeon and it went well.  So I hope it goes well for you too.  After it comes out remember to apply pressure with moist tea bag to stop the bleeding and reduce swelling.  An old remedy but it works for is.  Best wishes and I hope all goes smoothly for you.  Bite on a damp tea bag and let the tannin work for you.

nfarris79
on 9/30/13 7:27 am - Germantown, MD

Kelly, I'm sorry your friend bailed on you and that finances limit you from doing what would make the procedure less painful... I hope things went well as possible and that the stress is over. I remember getting my wisdom teeth extracted with only novocaine because that's all I could afford at the time....PITA but survivable! Wish dental care was included on the ACA or better coverage for medicaid recipients, but that's just me on my soapbox.

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

poet_kelly
on 9/30/13 7:33 am - OH

Thanks Nicole.  The actual procedure was not bad.  The only pain was the novocaine injections.  And pulling the tooth was super quick and didn't hurt.  However, shortly after I arrived home, the novocaine wore off and it is super painful right now.

I am supposed to see the dentist Wednesday to start on the bridge and right now, the idea of having anyone touch my mouth in any way is... well, it hurts to chew right now.  I was told I could return to a regular diet right away, and I ate one small bite of cheese, which I chewed on the other side of my mouth, but the chewing motion hurt.  So I had a protein shake instead and later, some cream of broccoli soup.

I am having a really hard time coping with the pain right now.  I used to have a pretty high pain tolerance, I think, but I don't anymore.

nfarris79
on 9/30/13 7:41 am - Germantown, MD

He didn't send you home with pain meds?!? I'm a complete pain-wuss, so I'da been asking for Vicodin or Percocet before even leaving the office.... Maybe swing by their office tomorrow am if you can get thru the night, just for some pm meds, b/c the pain may last for a couple days...

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

poet_kelly
on 9/30/13 7:46 am - OH

They told me to take Tylenol, which is not doing anything at all.  I actually have Tramadol for my back and I've taken a double dose of that, but it's not doing much, either.  The pain is causing a lot of anxiety.

nfarris79
on 9/30/13 8:02 am - Germantown, MD

Take deep breaths, this WILL pass! Tomorrow go back to your dentist and chain yourself to their front des****il they give you a script for real pain meds (ok, that might be a tad melodramatic. Maybe just ask politely?)

PetHairMagnet
on 9/30/13 11:36 pm
RNY on 05/13/13
On September 30, 2013 at 3:02 PM Pacific Time, nfarris79 wrote:

Take deep breaths, this WILL pass! Tomorrow go back to your dentist and chain yourself to their front des****il they give you a script for real pain meds (ok, that might be a tad melodramatic. Maybe just ask politely?)

Totally agree! ACK--I would need something after dental work!!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 379 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 345 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 200 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 221 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 124 views
Recent Topics