Cottage Cheese Test???

Gina96
on 10/1/13 3:10 am - IL

I read somewhere on this board that you could do a cottage cheese test to see how big your pouch has stretched? Has anyone done this and is it true?

poet_kelly
on 10/1/13 3:36 am - OH

All the cottage cheese test does is tell you how much cottage cheese you can eat.  It doesn't really tell you the size of your pouch because it's a slider food, meaning it's wet and squishy and slides through the pouch easily. The only way to really know if your pouch is stretched is to have an endoscopy so the doctor can go in and look at the pouch.  It's unusual for the pouch to stretch, though, since it's made from the least stretchy part of the stomach.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

chris_ruff
on 10/1/13 3:43 am
RNY on 04/07/09 with

throw this one into the myth column along with drinking with straws, bigfoot, and pop rocks and soda. 

--Christina
binker88
on 10/1/13 12:50 pm

Just out of curiosity what's the myth surrounding pop rocks? I've never heard of that one. 

chris_ruff
on 10/1/13 1:13 pm
RNY on 04/07/09 with
When I was a kid, people used to say that if you ate pop rocks and drank soda at the same time, your mouth would explode!
--Christina
Member Services
on 10/1/13 3:56 am - Irvine, CA

Hello Gina96,

We used our search feature and found a thread discussing your question.  Please note the thread is several years old.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/failed_wls_second_time_around/3910546/Cottage-cheese-test/

Gina96
on 10/1/13 4:59 am - IL

Thank you for all the advice. I was just curious as to the size of my pouch. I can eat 8 oz to 10 oz sometimes and just wondered can that stretch my pouch out eating that much at one time.

cajungirl
on 10/1/13 5:36 am

How far post-op are you?  A cup of food should be a normal meal usually depending on the density of food you will be able to eat more of some things and less of others.

Do you mind sharing what the 8-10 oz consist of, that may help others give you ideas if you'd like them?

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

MyLady Heidi
on 10/1/13 5:00 am

I can eat 1 cup of cooked brown rice, no more, the idea is to eat a solid and see how much you can eat.  I am nearly 9 years out and this is pretty typical for the amount of food most rnyers can eat.  I see what I eat every day, I know it is typically about a cup of solid food, much more of slider foods and somewhat less of meat.

PetHairMagnet
on 10/2/13 1:17 am, edited 10/2/13 8:12 am
RNY on 05/13/13
I amazed you can eat rice, period! It seems to be poorly tolerated in my support group locally and my husband, who is a year out this month, won't touch it after a bad experience with a single spoon of it.

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 384 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 357 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 322 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 154 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 3 replies · 110 views
Recent Topics