finally got my ferritin level

poet_kelly
on 10/2/13 4:16 am - OH

Three months ago, my ferritin level was 15.  It had dropped from 70 the year before to just 15 (which my PCP tried to tell me was fine, but I disagreed). 

After consulting with vitalady (Michelle), I increased my carbonyl iron from 75 mg a day to 300 mg a day.  I take that with 2000 mg vitamin C.

After three months of that, my iron level has gone from 90 to 101 and my ferritin has gone from 15 to 26 (which my PCP still thinks is fine).  I'm glad the ferritin is up and I do have more energy now than I did three months ago.  I want it higher than 26, but I feel comfortable that it will keep going up if I keep taking this dose.  I'm very glad it is going up, because if it hadn't gone up, I was going to talk to a hematologist about iron infusions and I really did not want to have to do that.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

cajungirl
on 10/2/13 4:20 am

It's gone in the right direction.  My experience was the same, PCP wasn't worried until I needed infusions where my heme jumped on doing them as they trended downward.  My last ferritin in July was HIGH (like 1200+ high) and makes no sense at all (other than maybe inflammation).  My energy level has gone down so I really think it was a bad test and I need to request a new one. 

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

chulbert
on 10/2/13 5:56 am - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

I'm lucky that a high ferritin level is practically my superpower.  I don't take an iron supplement and as of a month ago it was in the 400s.

I'm glad yours is trending in the right direction!

Missy A.
on 10/2/13 10:20 am - NC
RNY on 08/17/12

Kelly, do you have a list of results that each of our yearly blood test should be? I'm just trying to make sure my test are all within the limits we want them to be.

Thank you

Missy

HW:348 Consult W:320 SW:295 Current W:156 GW:140

65rosesmom
on 10/2/13 11:31 am

Good news!!  My ferritin went up from my new regime too.  

Heather   Mom to 3  
Surgery August 9, 2012
HW = 225, SW= 205, CW 135 

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 369 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 337 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 23 replies · 123 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 212 views