8 days out and don't feel motivated today

bsouder2210
on 10/8/13 5:28 am
I have lost 8 pounds in the last 3 days totaling 33.5 since my pre op diet. I know my weight loss is great and I am excited about it but today I find myself thinking "only a few weeks until I can eat a cheeseburger!". Why the heck am I doing that?! I did a liquid diet for 4 weeks before surgery and I am still doing it now. 6 weeks of liquids only is killing me. I can have pureed foods next Monday and I am looking forward to it. Is that wrong to look forward to food? I feel like I have been working so hard to help with the fact that I am a food addict and being excited about food is a step in the wrong direction. Has this happened to you? How did you get out of this mind set? We're you successful for years out of surgery? I am so worried about getting fat again in a few years.

poet_kelly
on 10/8/13 5:33 am - OH

Why would it be wrong to look forward to food?  I think you're looking forward to food because you've been on liquids for five weeks and you're tired of liquids.  That sounds perfectly normal to me.

I like food.  I get excited about good food.  These days, I get excited about healthy yummy food at least as often as I get excited about unhealthy yummy stuff, and I don't eat all the unhealthy stuff I may feel excited about.  But I like food.  I get excited about some really yummy healthy stuff - for dinner I am planning to have Chunky Monkey Greek yogurt - banana flavored Greek yogurt with some chopped walnuts and chocolate chips in it.  I don't see anything wrong with looking foward to my dinner.  I'd hate to have to eat food I didn't like or would not ever look forward to.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

bsouder2210
on 10/8/13 5:39 am
Thank you. I am trying to not be a food addict anymore so I guess I feel bad being excited about food. I don't really know if that is normal or not. I keep thinking food made me 333 pounds so to loose weight I need to not love food but what you said makes a lot of sense to me. I can be excited but be excited for healthy food and don't eat the unhealthy food.

Louise1974
on 10/8/13 5:57 am

Regarding the "food made me 333lbs":  I suppose that is one way to look at it.  but it might be more helpful to realize that a huge number of things made you 333lbs including eating TOO MUCH food, the wrong kids of food, metabolic processes, not moving enough, eating out of addiciton or sadness or stress too much of the time, even the bacteria in your gut plays a role.  We have to eat to live.  I see lots of people online and in my life who start to view food as this dangerous bad thing.  it isn't heroin.  We need it to live and it is very natural to get excited about food and enjoy food and look forward to food.  And hey, I am the kind of person who needs to eat foods now and then that aren't 'healthy" by some people's estimation,  I had two bites of a reuben sandwich with five of the most amazing french fries I have ever tasted the other day.  But i planned that, I went to the best restaurant I could find, I enjoyed every single second, I made sure to make great choices for the rest of the day.  It would be way easier if food was heroin, then we could "just say no", but we need to live with food, appreciate food, nourish ourselves with food. 

That being said, we also need to really think about what will nourish us now.  So in each step of your journey, practice eating in ways that nourish you.  Today it might be a shake because that is what your plan calls for and what your pouch can handle.  but soon it may well be a cheeseburger, a cheeseburger is actually a pretty good choice once your pouch is ready.  i remember when I got cleared to eat soft foods and I made an egg and I was simply in HEAVEN.  It was fabulous.  Those liquid diets are rough. 

Hang in there!

poet_kelly
on 10/8/13 6:03 am - OH

Yeah, a cheeseburger can actually be really healthy.  Make it with lean meat, real cheese, a whole grain bun or no bun at all, some fresh tomato on top - that's healthy.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

bsouder2210
on 10/8/13 6:12 am
Healthy cheeeburger, I love it!

poet_kelly
on 10/8/13 6:01 am - OH

Yeah, I think saying "food" made you 333 lbs is to vague.  Pizza (and lots of it) and Ben and Jerry's ice cream made me 270 lbs, along with some other things.  Greek yogurt, salads, fruit, protein shakes, those are all food but they definitely are NOT what made me 270 lbs.  Even a single slice of pizza along with a salad did not make me 270 lbs.  I definitely had to change what I ate and how much I ate in order to lose weight, but that doesn't any type of food in any amount is a bad thing or my enemy.

Have you seen the blog BariatricFoodie.com?  If not, check it out.  It's all about loving your food and having food that's good for you, yummy, and fun to eat.  It's definitely food you can get excited about and it's healthy for you.

bsouder2210
on 10/8/13 6:13 am
Thank you for the website!! I looked a little and i think i could be good friends with this site lol. I LOVE cooking!!!

laura343
on 10/8/13 5:57 am

It is still really new for you and the first month is the toughest...  i am only 6 weeks post op and i have those thoughts as well...  i call it my big girl mentality...  it is getting easier so i look forward to the months ahead...  i am like you, i look forward to the day i can have a good ol burger or a good ol steak....  of course in moderation and quantity control but to just be able to get some in will be nice...  hang in there and just keep pushing thorugh it!!!

JustCK
on 10/8/13 7:36 am

I feel the same way! I have one week to puree foods also and I am counting down!

Most Active
Recent Topics