How bad was the pain when you woke up? I am scared and concer :( 6 days until Sergury 000

Gastricbabe22
on 10/17/13 3:35 am - Bronx , NY

OK, so I am 6 days away and I know I shouldn't be google and reading everyone story because everyone is different put I am scared. Specially after reading some ones blog she described the feeling when you wake up to something that was very very very painful worst than getting a tattoo or having a baby. (I have no kids so I don't know that pain).

But Anyways I keep getting so nervous lately I could feel my heart racing and i get this feeling in the middle of my chest like I have I guess fear but its odd. I hope that does not happen when I get there because If my pulse is very high they might be not bring me in until is stable.

How bad was it for you ? does everyone experience that terrible pain ?

chulbert
on 10/17/13 3:52 am - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

I don't remember it being very bad and it was certainly nothing by buddy dilaudid couldn't handle.

KBC360
on 10/17/13 3:58 am - CT
RNY on 09/20/13 with
Had my RNY (robotic) on 9/20 and frankly I've been thru a LOT worse, I only hit the morphine PCA a few times (curiosity mostly), I would say my pain was a 3 out of 10 at its worst and within 6 days I wanted to go back to work.
poet_kelly
on 10/17/13 4:00 am - OH

It was not worse than having a baby for me.  I had a natural childbirth and that was much worse than my gastric bypass.

I don't have any tatoos but I imagine any major surgery would hurt more than a tatoo.

The pain was not terrible when I woke up.  I was sore.  I have a morphine pump and the nurse showed me how to push the button when I needed more morphine.  I would describe what I felt more as discomfort, not severe pain.

I have a herniated disk in my back and the pain from that is much, much worse than the pain from my RNY.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Ehbeagle
on 10/17/13 4:17 am - Virginia beach, VA
I am 6 days post op. I had the lap. Gastric bypass. The pain was minimal. Actually my back hurt worse than anything. I was given a pump but really only used it a couple of times.
BWB
on 10/17/13 4:30 am

My discomfort was no more than an ache or soreness....ever.  It depends a lot on your surgeon and how they determine your ability to handle pain.  Let your nurse know if you need more pain meds.  That part of the surgery was the least of my worries.  Getting protein and liquids in was far more of a concern.  i couldn't stand the Isopure that was on the menu.

Sarah R.
on 10/17/13 4:35 am

First off let them know when you check in or talk to the anesthesiologist about your anxiety...they usually routinely give you something in the prep area for surgery that cuts down on this. Second of all...I had never had surgery and never had a baby either and my surgery ended up being very complicated by an unforeseen rare issue. My organs are/were all adhered to my posterior abdominal wall....requiring them to do a lot of scraping/dissecting it away from my abdominal wall. My recovery was probably a bit more painful and long than some due to the amount of extra they did on my insides. It was doable...in recovery they asked immediately upon waking if I was nauseous (I was) they gave me iv meds immediately to help this. I was very very very sore...not going to lie but it was doable. Take your pain meds on schedule and dont let it get too bad and you will be just fine. It will hurt but really its more of a sore thing/achy then actual down right horrible pain. By the time I got to my room Id been given meds and though sore was able to sleep.

cajungirl
on 10/17/13 4:40 am

For me, it wasn't real bad.  Since you don't have kids you won't relate to for me it was easier than a C-section and MOST all other surgeries I've had (hysterectomy, gallbladder removal).  I was on a morphine pump for less than 24 hours and the doc told me I wasn't pushing the button enough.  I was released from the hospital the next afternoon and took pain meds that evening after the ride home.  NONE after that, the pain was manageable.

Now how will you react, no one can tell you as we all relate differently to pain.  Keep your focus on why you are doing WLS and know the pain and the first few weeks that may be a struggle will be a distant memory soon and once you start losing weight the excitement begins.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

Catie780
on 10/17/13 4:56 am
Stop reading anything negative or long,complicated or Rare.

The nurses are there to give you what you need for pain.

I slept with meds almost 24 hours In ICU- stand operating procedure right out of surgery. The IV meds helped so much. I felt like bad sit ups when abdominal muscles had to work.
At home the Percocet crushed helped. But I didn't need it every four hours.

Breathe. It will be ok.
AnchorsAweigh
on 10/17/13 5:14 am

Pain wasn't bad at all. After a day-and-a-half I stopped taking pain medication--not so much as a Tylenol. I did get tired easily--like standing through an entire shower was a chore--but all def worth it! Good luck!!!

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 55 replies · 480 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 403 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 393 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 25 replies · 341 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 157 views
Recent Topics