Labwork - when does your MD do labs?

Mommiecat
on 10/22/13 2:06 pm

I had a 2 week FU appt and then I don't see my MD until 3 months out. Do MDs usually do bloodwork at 3 months out? I am curious if I am lacking in anything. I know my iron is low; I can't seem to get it to go up despite taking 4x the daily value in iron. (Been anemic most of my life.) I received a Vit D injection at the 2 week FU appt. I am more curious about B-12, where my A1C is, etc.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/22/13 2:13 pm - OH

Some do and some don't.  The ones who don't do 3 month labs (like my surgeon) usually cite the fact that at only 3 months out, the levels won't reflect much change from your pre-op levels (and a couple of the labs, like the Vit D, are expensive).  My Vit D was VERY low pre-op, so I had my PCP check that and the major things at 3 months out and then my surgeon checked everything at 6 months and one year.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Laccygurl
on 10/22/13 2:34 pm - Paso Robles, CA
My Doc, does them every 3 months up to a year. Then once a year. Dec 5, will be my 6 month check up. Have to get lab work done 2 weeks before I go in.

Laurie
Silverbelle69
on 10/22/13 7:44 pm - Midlothian, VA
RNY on 06/05/12

I had mine done at 3 months.  I plan to have them done every February and August for a couple years or until all values have been consistently normal.  Then I would consider having it done annually.

Most Active
Recent Topics