What if I get too scared before surgery?

Jen Lyn
on 10/23/13 10:31 am
RNY on 11/11/13

This is the first surgery that scares me.  My mom is flying in unless my grandma has an emergency. She is 90 and healthy. Did anyone chicken out? How do you deal with the fear of dying?

bhans530
on 10/23/13 10:43 am

I was to the point in my life that if I didn't do anything I was dying inside already.  I wasn't going to tell my adult children, but reconsidered just in case I did die I wanted them to know it was totally my decision and I loved them.  I got scared only when I arrived at the hospital and then I just took a deep breath and moved forward.  As with most challenging things in life, you have to just make a decision and go for it.  But always remember it is YOUR decision and you can change your mind until they prep you for surgery. My only regrets have been in the first few days, when pain and discomfort caused me to question myself.  Many, many people would do it again, because of the happy, healthy life style they now lead.

RNY 5/20/13 surg wt 233   5'9" HW 258 CW183

jamienichols22
on 10/23/13 10:51 am - MI

This is all normal feelings that you are having! Remember YOUR reason's for wanting the surgery in the beginning. It sounds crazy and I am still pre-op as well but have read many post about the fear days and and weeks before the surgery but most say that when they get to the morning of it's like your at peace and the fear is gone. I have heard of very few chickening out but yes I have spoke to a few people who did but turned around a few years later and had the surgery. As far as how to deal with the fear of dying put your faith in God or with whom you believe. Take some you time and go over your reasons for choosing surgery and show yourself how much the healthy you will benefit from this. I hope you find peace with your decision and go ahead with this life changing experience. 

Jamie Nichols

HW:321    CW:263   GW:125 

I am a tiger who is earning her stripes!! 

Miamos
on 10/23/13 11:03 am - OH

It is okay to freak out. I freak out during the class and almost hyperventilated.  But I final realized that I was strong then my emotions and if I let the emotions get a hold off me i would never go through with it. I decided that I wanted to live long enough to see my boys get married and have grandkids and to see my grandkids have kids.  It is normal to freak out.  My surgery was a year ago and I don't not regret it one bit

selhard
on 10/23/13 11:49 am - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

I did not chicken out.  My fear of staying a 400+ woman and dying of morbid obesity was greater than my fear of surgery complications.  It might help you to sit down with a pen and paper and create a journal to tuck away for reading on your surgerversary.  I, too, was scared until the morning of surgery when I felt a sense of calm, peace, and trust to let go.

65rosesmom
on 10/23/13 11:58 am

I was anxious the morning of the surgery and they gave me a xanax when I first got there.  It helped a lot!!   I was okay up until that point though.

Heather   Mom to 3  
Surgery August 9, 2012
HW = 225, SW= 205, CW 135 

NadiaM
on 10/23/13 12:51 pm
Just know that you have more chances of dying on your way to the hospital than in the OR (just trying to prove a point). The death rate is so minute for this surgery that you shouldn't even worry!
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/23/13 1:07 pm - OH

I was pretty calm about my RNY (which I knew would be open****il I actually got to the hospital.  Then I started to freak out about what I was about to do to my body (but I wasn't worried about dying since my surgeon had already assured me that the chances of dying during or immediately after a RNY weren't any higher than for any other surgery, especially since I had no medical issues).  I'm not sure why some people are so afraid of dying during this particular surgery, since the statistics don't show any reason for that fear.  If you become stressed out at the hospital, they can give you something to calm your nerves.  If you are stressed out before then, you will have to rely on self-soothing techniques, on reminding yourself that the fear is normal (to a certain degree), and reminding yourself of all the positive things that will come from getting the weight off.

I had a grad school colleague who was approved for surgery, had a surgery date, and backed out 2 weeks before surgery.  That was in 2006 (the year before I had my surgery).  Her husband had a RNY about 2 years ago, but she still had not had it when he did is (and as far as I know she still has not done it).  The surgery isn't right for everyone, and only you can decide if it is right for you.  If you are not sure that you are ready, putting it off may be best.  If you feel it is right for you but are just scared, then try to focus on the positives.

My surgeon had told me they would give me some "courage medicine" (as she calls it) as soon as I had signed all of the consent forms in the surgery prep area, but they still had not even put an IV in when my surgeon came in.  As soon as she appeared, I burst into tears and told her I was scared and needed that "courage medicine" (Versed).  She asked why I didn't have an IV yet (like I could answer that!), then she disappeared and the nurse came in right away with the IV stuff.  As soon as I reassured the surgeon that I did want to go through with the surgery, that I was just scared, they gave me the Versed to calm me down.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Member Services
on 10/23/13 2:26 pm - Irvine, CA

Fear and anxiety is normal as surgery approaches.  Keep focused on what brought you to this point.  Here are some things to focus on as you prepare for the big day:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/photographing-your-weigh t-loss-surgery-journey/

http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/weight-loss-surgery-hosp tial-stay-what-to-pack/

http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/four-on-the-floor-self-c are-after-weight-loss-surgery/

Best wishes.

Lora R.
on 10/23/13 8:29 pm
RNY on 09/12/13

I was fine upto/thru surgery.  When I woke up, I had the OMG what have I done? going thru my brain for about an hour.  My husband looked at me and said You did this for you, you can't freak out on me now!  Haven't regretted at all since.

RNY: 9/12/13 HW:  347  SW:  315  CW:  183  BEST THING I EVER DID FOR MYSELF! 

Most Active
Recent Topics