Can't Find a Doctor

Sherell
on 10/31/13 11:20 pm

I had RNY GB on 08/20/13 at the Mayo Clinic in Florida.  I was 204 day of surgery, and I am 175 today.  After the surgeon released me, the bariatric department told me I could see someone locally for follow up if I wanted.  The Mayo is a 10 hr. roundtrip for me.  I have contacted all the bariatric surgeons within 50 miles of my home, and they won't take me because I didn't start with them.  I really don't understand this mentality.  If someone has heart surgery and then moves, they can find another heart surgeon.  I have had a standard procedure with no post op difficulties, but I am treated as a leper.  I met with an internist thinking I would be comfortable with him following my bloodwork, etc.  Not so much....... I will be returning to the Mayo in December for follow up, but I'm very discouraged that I can't find local care.

Has anyone else had this issue?  How did you overcome it?  I even called one of them back and groveled.  Nope, he won't see you.  BTW, I have fantastic insurance.

Sherell

poet_kelly
on 10/31/13 11:26 pm - OH

My surgeon closed his practice when I was six months post op, but I had no trouble finding another surgeon to do my follow up.  After the first year, though, I decided to just have my PCP do my labs and only see a surgeon if I had a surgical problem.  There are no bariatric surgeons near where I live.  I'm in a small town.  My surgeon was three hours away.  Are you unable to find a PCP that can order your labs?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

PetHairMagnet
on 11/1/13 12:11 am
RNY on 05/13/13

I agree with Kelly's post. In addition, I think I would contact the Mayo Clinic and ask THEM to help you get a doctor in your area. 

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Jen Lyn
on 11/1/13 5:33 am
RNY on 11/11/13

There is one bariatric surgeon who visits my town once a month. He only sees his own patiets so I am flying to a big city to see a surgeon I trust. I am not happy about the travel, but it is worth it to have the best care.  I was told by other doctors here they won't followup because they don't do the surgery and they are not comfortable.  My family doctor will work with the  surgeon because he is awesome or I would have to go back even more.  My family doctor specialized in internal medicine.

cajungirl
on 11/1/13 5:38 am

I didn't see my surgeon beyond the first year (and that's because my self-pay fees included 1 year of follow-up).  My PCP has followed and ordered my labs.  Unless you have a complication you really do not need to see a surgeon.  Find a PCP or internal medicine doc that knows something about RNY or is willing to learn.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 323 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 243 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 310 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 84 views