Still scared- am I making the right decision?

BigTMoe
on 11/2/13 9:30 am

My surgery is next Thursday and I am so nervous! I know I want this and have wanted this for years- but now that it is happening I am having second thoughts.  I mean, for real- can I never have a dessert again another piece of candy on Halloween or a soda- my absolute favorite in the whole world?  I accept the sacrifices required.... But a lifetime is a long time to never have these things again.  Does your diet ever go back to normal?  Maybe I don't know enough about what is expected of me.  Really, I've changed to healthy eating, but right now, the choice is still there, you know?  If I have absolutely had it, and I decide that " today I am going to have a candy bar".   Then i have a candy bar-- and maybe I do an extra set or two at the gym... No big deal.  BUT, if I can no longer EVER decide that " today I get to have that candy bar". -- that is a harsh reality that I'm not sure I can survive!  

BigTMoe

PetHairMagnet
on 11/2/13 9:40 am
RNY on 05/13/13
On November 2, 2013 at 4:30 PM Pacific Time, BigTMoe wrote:

My surgery is next Thursday and I am so nervous! I know I want this and have wanted this for years- but now that it is happening I am having second thoughts.  I mean, for real- can I never have a dessert again another piece of candy on Halloween or a soda- my absolute favorite in the whole world?  I accept the sacrifices required.... But a lifetime is a long time to never have these things again.  Does your diet ever go back to normal?  Maybe I don't know enough about what is expected of me.  Really, I've changed to healthy eating, but right now, the choice is still there, you know?  If I have absolutely had it, and I decide that " today I am going to have a candy bar".   Then i have a candy bar-- and maybe I do an extra set or two at the gym... No big deal.  BUT, if I can no longer EVER decide that " today I get to have that candy bar". -- that is a harsh reality that I'm not sure I can survive!  

Clearly your method has not worked, or you would not be obese today.
So a little extra workout would not counteract a whole candy bar. Maybe not even a bite.

If you are unable to make a lifestyle change, then skip the surgery. I certainly am not disappointed if I never eat candy again. And maybe I will have a bite at some point in the future, but surely not more than 3 small bites, like half a fun size.

I did this for LIFE not so I could have candy and soda.

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

BigTMoe
on 11/2/13 10:16 am

Wow- good for you that you can say that.  You must be a very strong person.  I'd like to clarify that my obesity has not come on during the time that I have allowed myself "a candy bar" and then added a set or two extra at the gym, rather, it was accumulated during my years of eating 10 candy bars and 3 cans do soda followed by chips and cookies all while sitting in front of the TV being clinically depressed.  r maybe it was when i had two knee surgeries because my knees kept dislocating from being an athlete.  or my herniated disc and subsequent back surgery may have been a factor to my sedentary lifestyle.  Or the continued pain from the rest of my bulging discs in my back from the disc degeneration disease. i'm not sure when the majority of my weight was pit on, but what i DO know is that it has NOT been added during the recent months when i haveadopted healthy eating, and make better choices, I have dropped 25 lbs and that is including the days I allow myself a treat and then work extra at the gym to offset it a bit.

My point, perhaps too subtle, was the fear of becoming so ill due to the side effects from this surgery in the event that I would occasionally allow myself a treat, that the choice would never actually be my own anymore.  It is simply not an option to enjoy some of the things I happen to enjoy now.

i admit I am new to the forums, but since I have people in my life who have been less than supportive, I thought I would give this a try for some positive feedback.  Having encountered such a cruel and judgmental reply on only my second post, perhaps this isn't for me either.  

Are there any supportive people out there?

BigTMoe

Sherrie P.
on 11/2/13 9:49 am
RNY on 02/06/13

I cannot eat a piece of cake, but I had 2 milk duds on Halloween.

I had a few sips of coke zero at lunch.

It has been totally worth it for me. 

The things that I had been doing for so long didn't work.  Don't sabotage and think about the things you cannot do like eat cake. Think about the things you WILL be able to do ... like shop at Victoria Secret, or Zipline or just sit in a green plastic lawn chair without snapping it in half.

Good luck!!!

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

Beautiful_Confident
on 11/2/13 9:59 am
Having the surgery is not like a death sentence BUT continuing to eat that way and be so caught up in it just might be. Think of the good things that may and will happen after surgery. Instead of candy bar, try sugar free jello apples! They are the bomb.com!! My advice would be don't get the surgery if you don't feel you can make the required changes. It will probably just bring on more disappointment.
poet_kelly
on 11/2/13 10:12 am - OH

Did your surgeon or dietician talk to you about your post op diet? I mean, long term?  You will be able to have dessert or candy or soda.  They might need to be sugar free or low in sugar - about 30% of RNY folks get dumping syndrome if they eat too much sugar.  But you will be able to have sugar free desserts or small amounts of sugar if you want to. 

An extra set or two at the gym usually won't burn enough calories to burn off a whole candy bar, though, and if you eat a lot of sweets after surgery you can end up gaining weight back.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

BigTMoe
on 11/2/13 10:22 am

This is what I wanted to know.  I can have an occasional treat but in a different way as long as I find an alternative.  Thanks.  I actually haven't even met my surgeon yet- just the dietitians and endocriniligist and the surgeons nurse.  So I haven't gotten the information about the long term diet.  Thanks for your insight.  I am going to need to find recipes and other ways of cooking and getting in my protein based on what I will be able to tolerate after the procedure.  I rely on protein shakes quite a bit right now.

BigTMoe

poet_kelly
on 11/2/13 10:26 am - OH

You're having surgery in less than a week and haven't met your surgeon?  When do you meet him or her?

Check out bariatricfoodie.com for some great WLS friendly recipes.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

BigTMoe
on 11/2/13 10:40 am

The day before- I am having this done at Mayo Clinic so I've been seen by different departments throughout the process.  Endo, dietitians, psych, etc.  them you get approval and schedule to see the surgical team member- like his assistant or nurse.  I talked to her in depth.

Dukemom
on 11/2/13 10:48 am
RNY on 12/17/13

Which Mayo?  I'm having mine done in Jacksonville on 12/18.  I meet the surgeon 11/19, along with a slew of other bariatric departments.

"Perseverance, secret of all triumphs."  ~ Victor Hugo   

Highest weight:  290; Weight at Surgery:  231; Current Weight:  126 (as of most recent Sunday)

Most Active
Recent Topics