Adding fiber to your protein shake

poet_kelly
on 11/3/13 8:09 pm - OH

I wrote an article recently on ways to add fiber to your protein shake and thought it might be helpful for some people here.  I think the lack of fiber in our diet, especially in the early days post op, is one of the big reasons constipation is so common among RNY folks.

http://voices.yahoo.com/adding-fiber-protein-shake-12378614. html?cat=5

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Dukemom
on 11/3/13 8:27 pm
RNY on 12/17/13

Thanks for the information Kelly.

The protein shake I drink now is Nectar Medical Grade Whey Protein.  It mixes easily with skim milk when I mix it in a shaker.  I suspect the chia seeds I bought (premium ground) won't mix well with just shaking the drink.  Do you have good success with either a blender or food processor?  Any other suggestions for a smooth drink?

"Perseverance, secret of all triumphs."  ~ Victor Hugo   

Highest weight:  290; Weight at Surgery:  231; Current Weight:  126 (as of most recent Sunday)

poet_kelly
on 11/3/13 9:49 pm - OH

You'd probably want a blender to mix in the chia seeds.  Something like Benefiber should work well with just shaking it, though.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

saterry
on 11/3/13 9:47 pm - IN
Revision on 10/03/13

I turned my Vanilla shake into and orange cream shake with orange SF metamucil......6gm fiber not bad at all.

Cant do Chia seeds.....that damn chia pet song starts playing in my head and I have visions of all the stupid characters and chia hair !!!

SRVG 1997 SW 301   Revision to RNY 10/3/13 SW 247 GW 130  Ht 5'8

poet_kelly
on 11/3/13 9:48 pm - OH

Oh, that's an interesting idea!  I do a yummy orange creamsicle shake with vanilla protein powder and orange crystal light (well, the walmart brand of it).

saterry
on 11/3/13 10:47 pm - IN
Revision on 10/03/13

ok now I have to get orange crystal light too !!

SRVG 1997 SW 301   Revision to RNY 10/3/13 SW 247 GW 130  Ht 5'8

Signer_
on 11/4/13 1:31 am

Kelly,

Would you happen to know where we can purchase unflavored protein powder?

poet_kelly
on 11/4/13 1:33 am - OH

Vitamin Shoppe, GNC, many grocery stores, or online.  A lot of people like the Unjury brand (unjury.com).

Signer_
on 11/4/13 1:54 am

Kelly,

Thank you, I knew you would have an answer.

poet_kelly
on 11/4/13 1:56 am - OH

I think you can order a single serving sample from Unjury.  I recommend getting a sample whenever you can.  Unflavored doesn't necessarily mean no taste at all, and it may affect the texture of whatever you put it in, so if you can try it before buying a big tub, that's good.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 364 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 332 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 204 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 5 replies · 33 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 118 views
Recent Topics