low BP

Ocalasam
on 11/4/13 8:59 pm
RNY on 12/18/12

I have been borderline for blood pressure for quite a few years (because of my weight, I'm sure) and had high blood pressure with both of my pregnancies.  Since my surgery, my blood pressure is now very low.  Last week it was 105 over 60.  Here's my questions: 1) why is it so low now? 2) will it continue to stay low or it just because of my body adjusting to weight loss? 3) is it ok to have low blood pressure?  At night, I really have to be careful getting up from a sitting position or I get extremely dizzy.  Just curious if anyone has any information to share about this.....

saterry
on 11/4/13 9:07 pm - IN
Revision on 10/03/13

This is not a low BP. It is actually normal.

While it looks low to you since you are used to seeing higher numbers, it is quite normal ! Congratulations ! Your body does not have to work as hard to pump blood since you lost weight !!!

When getting up, sit on edge of bed or chair for a few moments then rise slowly.

Make sure you are getting ALL of your fluids in daily.

I am a nurse, but not YOUR nurse. When in doubt---call your MD.

GOOD JOB !!!

SRVG 1997 SW 301   Revision to RNY 10/3/13 SW 247 GW 130  Ht 5'8

emmykins132000
on 11/4/13 9:17 pm
I also have bp around 110/60. Getting up quickly makes me dizzy too. I'm five years post op and my bp has stayed at that number. Congrats on defeating high blood pressure! Get up slowly and you should be fine.
Peace,
Emily
Katie K.
on 11/4/13 9:42 pm - Maitland, FL
RNY on 06/25/13
I have to drink at least 100 oz of fluid or else I get dizzy. My pcp knows I don't like salt so she told me that increasing my salt intake would help with my dizzy spells. They get so bad sometimes that I get twitchy while I'm hanging onto furniture so I don't pass out.

PetHairMagnet
on 11/4/13 10:35 pm
RNY on 05/13/13

Even obese I had low blood pressure. Now that I am simply overweight, I can rarely stand from a sitting position without having to do the 3 point stand to prevent a blackout. 

I was advised to add sodium to my diet and to be sure I kept well hydrated. But you should see your PCP about this and make sure there isn't anything else at play.

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

ebtiger24
on 11/5/13 12:11 am - AL
RNY on 12/13/12 with
I get dizzy sometimes when I stand up. I have noticed if I cross my legs for any significant time and try to get up it almost alway****s me. Usually if I sit on the edge of my seat and kind of pump my legs a few times I don't get dizzy. Usually I forget about it though. 😄 I understand it gets better the farther out you get. It's not as bad now as it was 4 or 5 months ago, but it still happens.

Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 323 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 332 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 286 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 454 views