dumb question

Ocalasam
on 11/7/13 2:35 am
RNY on 12/18/12

I thought that when we have RNY surgery, we won't have trouble with reflux or stomach acid anymore??  I have had quite a bit of stomach pain recently, not excruciating, but about a 4 on a 1-10 scale...definitely annoying.  If I take Prevacid or other acid reducing meds - I feel much better.  I'm confused.

poet_kelly
on 11/7/13 2:41 am - OH

Most people don't have reflux after RNY.  a few do.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

PetHairMagnet
on 11/7/13 2:54 am
RNY on 05/13/13

I am so sorry you still struggle with reflux! My husband had horrible, awful GERD for as long as I can remember and he was cured of it through RNY. He has many times said, even if he had not lost a pound, the GERD being gone would have been worth it to him, so I understand the frustration of it not being cured for you!

Hugs!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

chris_ruff
on 11/7/13 4:11 am
RNY on 04/07/09 with

have you checked into the possibility of an ulcer?

--Christina
Larry Wassmann
on 11/7/13 4:38 am - Lacey, WA
RNY on 05/09/12

I am having it big time, and never had it before RNY. I have it many times during the night and I am afraid I will aspirate it and that is not good. They have checked me for an ulcer and looked at what I am eating and put me on some meds, but still I get it ever so often. Very upsetting to say the last so I sympathies with you. If you find a cure, let me know, the meds are not working that well. I hate to sound negative but I just wanted to let you know that others have it as well and I am a year and a half out. Good luck to you.

fb.png   Visit my Blog at  http://www.lwassmann.blogspot.com/                                

H.A.L.A B.
on 11/7/13 9:08 am

I did not have before RNY  - I had after. I had to take OTC Omeprozole for close to 4 years...  now I only take that once in a while..as needed.. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 310 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 327 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 281 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 447 views