newbie, help...

go_girl
on 11/9/13 12:07 pm

I am a new member, I have been reading a lot of posts and have learned so much in the process and I would like to thank you all. My insurance approved me for gastric bypass surgery and am waiting to get a surgery date. I am so scared because I have heard  a lot of complications arising from this surgery from people who actually had the surgery and are advising me not to have the surgery. I  have tried different diets but have been unsuccessful in loosing weight and I don't want to continue to have a BMI over 40 as I run the risk of obesity related diseases in the future. I would appreciate any helpful comments.

tdbull
on 11/10/13 1:19 am - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
I had a pretty invasive surgery - lap band removal, RNY and gallbladder removed during 1 surgery. My complication was due to gallbladder removal, not my RNY. I had a pretty bad first 2 months, only because of bile duct leak, but the RNY was great. I didn't feel hungry, I stuck to my surgeon's meal plan, and am doing great now at 3 months post op. I was terrified also, but if you are confident in your surgeon's ability and experience, and confident that you want to assure you take your vitamins and eat right for the rest of your like, then I would think that you are ready to make this change. Take Care.

Lapband surgery in 2009 -  Revision to RNY August 13, 2013 with gallbladder removal.

HW - (260)   SW - (197)   GW - (135), updated on 1-2-14 to 125lbs  HT 5'5"  Goal reached 3/2/14-revised goal to 120 on 3/9/14   reached 4/6/14             

Dukemom
on 11/10/13 1:39 am
RNY on 12/17/13

My surgery isn't until 12/17, but I am SO excited and can't wait.  There is a small risk with any type of surgery, even with the anesthesia.  I can lose weight on my own; I've lost and regained over 100 lbs several times in my life.  I need this tool to help me keep it off.  I want to live a long life and watch my grandchild(ren?) grow up.

My head is not in the sand regarding potential problems during and/or after surgery.  The son of a good friend of ours spent a month in ICU due to post bariatric surgery complications.  I just know I cannot go on being morbidly obese.  My quality of life is horrible when I'm fat.

"Perseverance, secret of all triumphs."  ~ Victor Hugo   

Highest weight:  290; Weight at Surgery:  231; Current Weight:  126 (as of most recent Sunday)

Brenda L.
on 11/10/13 1:39 am - Raleigh, NC

I had surgery 9/4/2013 and have had no problems at all! The surgery has really helped me with my eating and so thankful for that! Best wishes to you!

Brendini                                                              
JenniPenny
on 11/10/13 2:10 am - MN

I'm 12 yrs post op and am still thankful every day I had this done.Moving around isn't a big deal anymore, it's normal. I run up stairs without thinking, I move, park at the far end of the parking lot at the mall and find the extra walking great, I eat normally, I have had no complications at all, I enjoy life and am happy and healthy. Many have self induced complications because they don't follow their surgeon or nuts advice. We have to relearn how to eat, we have to learn what full feels like, we have to want this more than anything to make it work. I hang out with many post ops from 2 yrs-19 years out and none of them have any major complications I know of. Some get anemic and take iron, as for long term complications we dont have any. Don't listen to people who are trying to tell you not to have it. Do your research, trust your doctor. I tried dieting all my life, I could lose weight without a problem but never kept it off and usually gained more. Having surgery now before you have any health related problems because of the obesity is a big step. I can't tell you how amazing this surgery is. The first year with the rapid weight loss, then maintaining and having a new lifestyle is great. I do strenuous exercise, I run after my grandkids, I mountain bike, hike, canoe and kayak on weekends, I do yardwork, bowl with friends, go out dancing a lot and it's all because I can. My acid reflux is gone, my IBS is gone, my excess weight is gone and life is good. Hang out here and talk to the rest of us and learn more, enjoy your time before surgery to research what you can and let us know if we can help. Good luck to you.

Jen 12 yrs post op RNY

TurnThePage
on 11/10/13 2:35 am

What you are not considering is the hundreds of thousands of people who have WLS every year without complications. RNY has been done since the 1970s. If it was not successful for most people, it wouldn't be done.  Every surgery has risks.

Reliable studies have shown that only 2% to 5% of morbidly obese people who tried to lose their excess weight and maintain their loss over the long term succeed. That means 95 % or more fail to meet their goal. Which side do you want to be on?

The best analogy may be this: If you car had a flat tire, would you try to pick it up yourself to change the tire? No, you'd use a tool--a jack--then change the tire and get on with your life. Well, RNY is a tool, too. 

Good luck!

go_girl
on 11/10/13 4:33 am

Thank you all for your kind and heartwarming advise, I am really excited about having surgery and improving my health, I have always been that pessimistic person that would advise a friend to think of complications first and not benefits, I am slowing learning to stop thinking that way and be more optimistic. Will let you all know when i have my surgery scheduled and give updates on my progress.

PetHairMagnet
on 11/10/13 9:15 am
RNY on 05/13/13
On November 9, 2013 at 8:07 PM Pacific Time, go_girl wrote:

I am a new member, I have been reading a lot of posts and have learned so much in the process and I would like to thank you all. My insurance approved me for gastric bypass surgery and am waiting to get a surgery date. I am so scared because I have heard  a lot of complications arising from this surgery from people who actually had the surgery and are advising me not to have the surgery. I  have tried different diets but have been unsuccessful in loosing weight and I don't want to continue to have a BMI over 40 as I run the risk of obesity related diseases in the future. I would appreciate any helpful comments.

Several things.

First, my husband and I both had the surgery. He last Oct, me this past May. It could not have gone ANY better and we could not be ANY happier. Seriously...our only regret is not having done this 10 years ago. AWESOME doesn't even touch it!

Second, are you confident in your doctor AND your ability to adhere to the lifestyle changes? This is NOT a diet. This is a way of life. I have completely changed the way I live other than a) being a woman b) my address c) breathing. I am totally serious. My sleep is reduced because I just don't need to waste 8 or 9 hours in the bed. I almost NEVER nap because I have energy to get me through the day. I take FAR fewer medicines (even the ones I take, for the most part the medication amount is reduced). I exercise 6 days a week. I am tremendously more active in my life outside of exercise.  My husband and I have a far better and more interesting sex life. My work life (which was pretty darn awesome before) has gotten even better as I have gotten smaller. The clothes I buy are different. The way I fit in my car or a pew at church are all new, different and better!

Third, the naysayers love to come out in force. I, personally, told NO ONE but my husband and mother and the medical staff assisting me through this process. If I could go back to last December, I would not have told my mom. But that is another topic for another day. I did not need the negative crap from others who were NOT LIVING MY LIFE, telling me how to live my life! Here is the deal...if you have a qualified surgeon from a Center of Excellence and you follow their plan TO THE LETTER without bargaining yourself into chips or ice cream or laying like a big ol' slug instead of exercising and you take your vitamins, hydration and protein in without fail day in and day out...then the rate of complication is VERY, VERY low. Which is far from saying that those who 'do it all right' are not going to have issues. For sure, something could go awry, but you could pull out of your driveway and be hit by a truck, too. Chances are, that is not going to happen. That applies to both situations. The opportunity for long term success is THERE and if you do have issues, you'll work through them. 

I have made an interesting observation that people I know who have had the surgery and had issues tended to blur the lines pretty early on and then continue to make excuses for their behaviors and poor choices and then blame the surgery or the surgeon. It was sad and pitiful, to say the least. The ones that are tremendously successful saw it as JOB ONE to do things right and they do things right. 

Don't let the fear of a tiny possibility keep you away from the greatest thing you'll ever have the chance to do for yourself!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/10/13 1:32 pm, edited 11/10/13 1:32 pm - OH

Just curious... How many of these people who had RNY themselves and are "warning" you away from it are women who have regained a significant amount of their weight?  Based on my personal and professional experience, I am guessing that the percentage is quite high....

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Recent Topics