Why do diet plans vary so much??

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/11/13 6:36 am - OH

Yep, it is just based on surgeon training, preference, and experience.  My surgeon started out with two weeks of liquids initially, but modified her post-op plan to get people back to eating soft foods ASAP (On Day Three post-op as long as the full liquids on Day Two went ok) because she talked to another surgeon who had been doing that and she also read something that indicated that people are less likely to experience a "finicky pouch" if they don't "baby" it with an extended period of liquids.  She started doing that as a trial at first, but then found that people did seem to have less trouble with food intolerance, vomiting, etc. if they didn't do the liquids, so she made the change permanent and VERY few people had trouble with it.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

gwynnkitty
on 11/11/13 12:46 pm - North York, Canada

This actually makes sense to me - and makes me wonder why on earth I have to wait 3 weeks to try soft foods. Argh. I feel like the responsible thing to do (whatever the heck that means) is to follow the plan I'm given, but I DO wonder if there's anything to the idea of "babying" a pouch, too.

I wish there was more scientific data behind this specifically.

Referral to Surgeon: February 12, 2013 Appointment with Surgeon: April 24, 2013 Endoscopy: April 30, 2013 Referral sent to Bariatric Registry: May 2, 2013 Orientation Appointment: May 27, 2013 Dr Klein Appointment: June 6, 2013 Second Upper GI Series: June 11 Dr Glazer: August 12, 2013 RN/RD/SW: August 29. 2013 Follow-up With Dr Klein: September 23, 2013 Start Opti: October 23, 2013 Surgery Date: November 14, 2013 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/11/13 11:01 pm - OH

I agree.  I certainly won't tell anyone not to follow their surgeon's plan, but it makes me sad when I see people struggling with being on liquids for so long post-op when we were allowed scrambled eggs, flaky white fish, cheese, etc. just three days after surgery (and moist chicken, tuna, etc. just a week later).

I am genuinely surprised that there have NOT been any studies to determine whether there is any advantage or disadvantage to one plan over another.  There seem to be more and more surgeons moving away from the extended liquids (including both of the surgeons in the practice that I periodically do Psych evals for) and there must be reason(s) they are doing so, but I haven't heard the rationale from any of them outside of my group.  

Within our group (two surgeons and an opening for a third, and one full-time and two part-time Psychs), we discussed the various psych issues that patients were facing post-op and how we could help ease the transition.  One of our concerns was that requiring even 2 weeks of liquids caused patients to have to adjust to one "eating" plan (any many of them found liquids only to be stressful) and then to have to adjust to the soft food stage.  We suggested some ways we could lessen this, but we didn't suggest that the surgeons change their eating plan, of course!

When the surgeons privately discussed all of our suggestions/concerns (after the general meeting), they apparently agreed that the extended liquids phase didn't seem particularly advantageous (both of them had always agreed that it wasn't really NECESSARY) and was contributing to patients having trouble getting the desired nutrition in early out (when the body needs protein and calories to heal) and was contributing to the psychological trouble adjusting to post-op life (two negative aspects).  They realized that If they limited the liquid stage , it meant patients only having to do liquids for a few days (not very stressful) and then being able to slowly add in soft foods and then more solid foods.  It is a more natural post-op progression, and gives patients the opportunity to start making their healthy choices earlier without feeling like they are "fragile" (which they are not).  People who have trouble with soft foods right away, would be advanced more slowly, of course.  

gwynnkitty
on 11/11/13 11:21 pm - North York, Canada

You raise a point that I've thought about MANY times - in order to heal, you NEED protein and calories. This isn't something that we dispute - we know it's a fact. I'd be interested in knowing how people on plans like yours vs those on plans like mine heal, and how their first few weeks are in regard to pain, mobility, etc.

Here's my other question: If soft foods are chewed to the point of puree, which is my understanding of how we're supposed to eat going forward - why on earth go through creamed soups and then purees and THEN soft foods? 

Honestly, the more I think about this, the more discouraged and frustrated I am knowing that starting this weekend I'm going to struggle with this. Surgery is Thursday morning, so this is pretty "in your face" for me right now.

Referral to Surgeon: February 12, 2013 Appointment with Surgeon: April 24, 2013 Endoscopy: April 30, 2013 Referral sent to Bariatric Registry: May 2, 2013 Orientation Appointment: May 27, 2013 Dr Klein Appointment: June 6, 2013 Second Upper GI Series: June 11 Dr Glazer: August 12, 2013 RN/RD/SW: August 29. 2013 Follow-up With Dr Klein: September 23, 2013 Start Opti: October 23, 2013 Surgery Date: November 14, 2013 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/12/13 2:11 am - OH

I would raise those questions with your surgeon, because you are correct that if things are chewed to mush, that is the equivalent of puréeing something.  (I have always found it ridiculous that people would put food into a blender and then eat that rather than just chew it very well. I guess that allows them to technically follow the surgeons's rules without really following the intent... OR that the surgeons are giving rules that they don't realize make no sense.)  I have heard of many people who have talked with their surgeon about the post-op plan and the surgeon has allowed them to progress more quickly.  Your surgeon may be willing to allow you to do so.

My personal belief is that some surgeons do the liquids, purées, etc. plan because they believe that it will limit the number of people that will call their office with problems eating during the first few weeks.  (We already know that some surgeons use the "sip, sip, sip" command despite knowing that most people can drink fairly normally almost immediately post-op because it keeps them from having to take phone calls from the people who DO have trouble getting liquids in.  My personal surgeon as well as the two I work for both tell people to sip at first and then drink as able, drinkng as often as needed to get the full 64 ounce minimum in.  That might mean having to sip every 3 minutes  or it might mean drinking 8 ounces 8 times a day.)

gwynnkitty
on 11/12/13 2:52 am - North York, Canada

Thanks, Lora. I honestly feel like I need to do some serious questioning and logical thinking. I've also always thought that whole "sip sip sip!" thing is a little silly. If I can drink normally, why on earth wouldn't I? 

I'm actually hopeful that I can drink "normally" relatively quickly after surgery - I drink a LOT of water now, and I know I'm going to miss it if I can't continue doing so. 

gtrdyfor50
on 11/11/13 6:39 am
RNY on 10/08/13
Mine is similar, 1 week clear, 2 weeks full, 2 weeks pureed. then I have 2 weeks soft, then normal consistency food.

(deactivated member)
on 11/11/13 6:56 am - WI

Mine is puréed for two weeks, then straight to soft foods. My pre op is a high protein diet, that I start in a week. I have a diet to follow, but I got lucky no liquid diet.

Sherrie P.
on 11/11/13 10:35 am
RNY on 02/06/13

2 Weeks Clear liquids is nothing but torture!! Bless your heart.  I thought I was going to DIE from 3 weeks full liquids :-)

You will survive it ;)

Good luck!!

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 320 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 240 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 300 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 75 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Saturday menu??