Why do diet plans vary so much??

Brimiller808
on 11/11/13 5:48 am - Austin, TX
RNY on 10/29/13

I meant to ask my doctor this question this morning and totally blanked it out. My diet is two weeks clear liquids, two weeks full liquids, two weeks puréed and the I can start experimenting. Other here are eating fish and other things (healthy, of course) at tw weeks out. Envious?  Maybe a little. ; )

cajungirl
on 11/11/13 5:54 am

Surgeon's preference, no rhyme or reason.  Yes they vary tremendously.  I know mine did also and it was the surgeon's standard program because he saw more success with it for his patients than anything else.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

poet_kelly
on 11/11/13 5:56 am - OH

Because they are largely based on a doctor's own experience and personal preferences, not on science.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

PetHairMagnet
on 11/11/13 9:55 am
RNY on 05/13/13
On November 11, 2013 at 1:56 PM Pacific Time, poet_kelly wrote:

Because they are largely based on a doctor's own experience and personal preferences, not on science.

Exactly!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Katie K.
on 11/11/13 5:59 am - Maitland, FL
RNY on 06/25/13
What she said. Mine does two weeks liquid pre-op, then one liquid,two puréed, two soft, then on to new and different things. No grains, rice, or potatoes for six months because it slows weight loss. I'm floored by people who are told it's okay to eat mashed potatoes within a week or two.

poet_kelly
on 11/11/13 6:18 am - OH

On my surgeon's plan, I was allowed  mashed potatoes on pureed foods.  That was one week post op.  It did not slow my weight loss.  Well, I mean, since I ate it, I guess I don't really know.  Maybe I would have lost faster if I hadn't eating it.  But I lost 150 lbs in 18 months, so I don't think I lost too slowly.  I ate mashed potatoes at one week post op and I am perfectly satisfied with how fast I lost.  And seriously, I could only eat about three bites of them.  How many calories can their be in three bites of mashed potatoes?  How could three bites of mashed potatoes slow weight loss down that much?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Katie K.
on 11/11/13 6:49 am - Maitland, FL
RNY on 06/25/13
Maybe they were trying to scare carbaholics like me. I would eat an entire package of Bob Evans mashed potatoes. I might have a spoonful at Christmas. I'm skipping Thanksgiving this year. It's my first one post-op and my favorite meal. I'm afraid of it, but I think I'll be over that in time for Christmas. My six months is on Christmas Day. That's kind of convenient.

PetHairMagnet
on 11/13/13 9:19 pm
RNY on 05/13/13
On November 11, 2013 at 2:49 PM Pacific Time, Katie K. wrote:
Maybe they were trying to scare carbaholics like me. I would eat an entire package of Bob Evans mashed potatoes. I might have a spoonful at Christmas. I'm skipping Thanksgiving this year. It's my first one post-op and my favorite meal. I'm afraid of it, but I think I'll be over that in time for Christmas. My six months is on Christmas Day. That's kind of convenient.

You need to do what is right for you, certainly, but my husband was a month and a week post-op and we had a bariatric friendly Thanksgiving for him last year and it was 100% fine.  I am going to do so again this year and I'll be 7 1/2 months then and he of course will be into his 14th month. But know there ARE good Thanksgiving choices out there for you if you so choose. 

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

ebtiger24
on 11/11/13 9:25 am - AL
RNY on 12/13/12 with

Mashed potatoes were on my plan. I still eat them in small servings from time-to-time. I've lost 171 pounds since my surgery in 11 months.  i'm at a normal BMI and normal waist/height ratio. It's all about moderation. 

Brimiller808
on 11/11/13 6:03 am - Austin, TX
RNY on 10/29/13

Thanks. I was beginning to think I have the strictest doctor EVER!  I'll just follow her orders but what I wouldn't give for just a bite of fish. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 74 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 297 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 302 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 342 views