Hey all, I have a question about portion

shawna W.
on 11/11/13 11:51 pm
RNY on 07/26/13

i weigh EVERYTHING except liquids. so according to my scale i eat around 3-4 oz of food. then when  i got a scope done because i had discomfort and pain in my stomach they found a hiatel hernia. but thats besides the point. they told me my pouch was larger than usual. i dont overeat on regular bases, to be honest i have over ate by a bite a couple times but that wouldnt stretch my pouch. so that got me thinking they ask you how much food you eat in cups. so i just took some pork chop and cut it and stacked it in the cup and filled about 3/4  a cup... but only weighs 4 oz. so now im really confused on where my portion and meals stand. im concerned for my weight loss and my pouch.

so which should i go with weight or by cup measurment?

~shawna

HW: 358 SW: 316   

jefferytmc
on 11/12/13 12:01 am

Due to the differences in density of foods, I would go by the physical cup measurement.

Eating more than you are you directed from a physical proportion perspective, can stretch the stomach, the weight has little bearing in this.

For example 4oz of a very dense meat will take up less space than 4 oz of a less dense meat.

The measuring in a physical container 1/2 cup, 3/4 cup, 1 cup, will never let you consume more volume than you should.

HW: 440.5  RNY 2/18 (Feb - 27, Mar -21, Apr -11, May -15.5, Jun - 12, Jul -14.5, Aug -9, Sept -11, Oct 6.2)

shawna W.
on 11/12/13 12:03 am
RNY on 07/26/13

thank you :) i appreciate the feed back and that makes sense.

HW: 358 SW: 316   

poet_kelly
on 11/12/13 12:09 am - OH

I would measure by volume.  Your pouch is a certain size.  It doesn't have a scale in there, though.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

cajungirl
on 11/12/13 4:20 am

I can understand things that fit in a measuring cup to do it that way, how do people actually weigh meat in a cup?  Unless you (general you) are cutting the meat up super small it isn't going to actually be the oz in a measuring cup.

I'm really curious on this.....as a cooker and baker and taking many years of Home Ec in high school it is standard that liquids are measuring with a cup and other items on a scale.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

poet_kelly
on 11/12/13 4:54 am - OH

I eyeball it.  One cup of food is about the size of a tennis ball.  So if it's an item that I can't actually put in a measuring cup, I guess.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

LadyLilMax
on 11/12/13 9:55 am - Retirement Ville, AZ

Cajungirl

love your new icon!  You just get better and better!

RNY 12/11/12  HW:230   SW:220   GW:140   CW:130  5ft 1

RNY on 10/21/13

I understand your confusion. When I was in the hospital getting ready to be discharged, I asked my surgeon if I should be weighing my food or using a measuring cup. He gave me a strange look and said "Either. 4oz equals 1/2 cup, don't go beyond that." I was a bit drugged up and still in pain, so I didn't question him further.

I've wondered this question several times recently but I've come to realize that while I weigh everything, if it is dense protein, I cannot eat more than 2-3 oz anyway, so I assume my pouch is limiting it on it's own. The other thought I had was x-amount of food measured in a cup will not equate to the same volume of food after it's chewed. Like comparing 1/2 cup of apple slices to 1/2 cup of applesauce; not sure if that makes any sense to anyone else but me (btw, that was just an example and I AM NOT eating apple slices this early out). I do know this question has come up many times here, so it might be worthwhile to search for it if you're interested or concerned. 

I have my first follow-up next week and I'll ask my NUT. 

cajungirl
on 11/12/13 4:18 am, edited 11/12/13 4:58 am

I don't weigh now as I do well eating until I'm satisfied and can eyeball some things fairly well.  I've measured by scale and with a measuring cup.  Unless you cut up meat really small a measuring cup isn't going to be the exact amount of oz.  I always weighed meat with a scale and liquid type foods by volume. 

Like you with dense proteins 2-3 oz usually does it for me, occasionally I can eat 4 oz if I haven't eaten in a while but that is with nothing else with it. 

I AM thankful my pouch still seems very small for someone almost 9 years out. 

Edited to fix typos and grammar **** my typing sucks lately and I'm not reading before submitting.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

RNY on 10/21/13
Yay! That makes me happy that we seem to be on the same page. =)

That's fantastic you still have a small pouch...probably because you are a smart lady and have "obeyed the pouch. " I'm grateful you are out there, sharing your experiences and advice. Thank you for your dedication and willingness to give back.
Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 392 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 497 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 477 views