Burning/sore sensation

BigTMoe
on 11/19/13 3:49 am

Big T back with a question-- i seem to be doing well over all, but I have noticed a burning sensation in my stomach after taking regular meds.  Before surgery, they told me to look into liquid versions of all of my meds because I shouldn't take pills afterwards, and I did.  However, one of them is capsules and not available in liquid-- an option is to open the capsule and dump the little beads into yogurt or sugar-free pudding - but here is the silly part.

When I got back to my room in the hospital, one of the first things they did was hand me pain pills- ?!?  I told the nurse I didn't think I was supposed to take pills, but she insisted the doc said it was ok.  So, I took pills (mostly pain pills) afterwards without thinking it was a big deal.  Due to nausea and just plain having a sore stomach, I stopped all pain pills 5 days out-- which was hard, but tolerable.  

Now, however, I've started up with my pre-op prescriptions again and noticed that 10-15 minutes after taking them, I have burning sensation in my stomach that seems to be getting more intense after each dose.  (I didn't break the capsules-- just took them).  One of them is 90mg -which I spread out with 3-30mg capsules throughout the day instead of all at once.  I called the nurse to see if it was from the capsule, but she said it shouldn't matter.  She did tell me to re-schedule my follow-up for sooner than planned-that will be next Tuesday.  

Has anyone else experienced this?  Do I need to worry about an ulcer so soon?

BigTMoe

cajungirl
on 11/19/13 4:59 am

Could be....I agree schedule an appt with your surgeon.

I took Cymbalta for a while for depression and stopped taking it as every time I did about 5 minutes later I would have a pain in my pouch that lasted 20-30 minutes and really was uncomfortable.  One of the side effects of Cymbalta is stomach ache (not real common but noted as a less common on).

Check the prescription you are on, with a new pouch still healing it's possible the meds is the problem.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

BigTMoe
on 11/19/13 7:45 am

OMG-- that is what it is!  Cymbalta--like how did you know?!?  Thanks for replying-- so it could be the actual RX - so glad to know that stomach ache is a side effect for some people-- makes sense when it happens to someone else too!  Thanks again!

BigTMoe

cajungirl
on 11/19/13 10:06 am

Wow it's probably the med. You should probably discuss it with your doctor. I recently went back on anti-depressants an my pcp wanted to prescribe Cymbalta I refused it and I'm taking Wellbutrin. It hasn't been a month since I started it but seems to be helping. 

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

TurnThePage
on 11/19/13 7:20 am

Sounds like they might be sticking a bit at the top of the pouch. If you are taking multiple capsules, try  taking them 10-15 minutes apart and downing them with warm tap water to speed the breakdown of the gel capsule material.

I have had no problems taking Cymbalta capsules since the day after surgery.

BigTMoe
on 11/19/13 7:46 am

Taking them with something warm may be a good idea-- I will try that in the next few days until my appt!  Thanks!

BigTMoe

PetHairMagnet
on 11/19/13 7:35 am
RNY on 05/13/13

One thing to make sure of is that you are able to open your capsule. A medicine my son took for a long time could NOT be opened or it was much less effective.  And seriously...in the hospital they did not give you IV pain meds? Where did you have your surgery? I'd have been steamed to be offered pain pills day one and I did pretty well right out of the gate, but OH MAN, that would have been rough for me!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

BigTMoe
on 11/19/13 7:53 am

I know, right?  I protested a little-- but they insisted, and quite honestly, I was in a LOT of pain, so I just took them!  They continued every 3 hours with Tylenol - and then Tramadol alternating each, and then boosting with Oxycontin when needed.  One time it was time for Tylenol and oxycontin, so they gave them to me all at once, and OH MAN!! It hurt so bad!  Taking them all together made me so sore.  After that, I made them at least break the Tylenols in half for me-- and I took each half about 10 minutes apart...  lesson learned!

Yeah, I think back now, and wonder the same thing-- why not do pain through the IV?  At least they wouldn't have had to wake me up every 3 hours then!

BigTMoe

PetHairMagnet
on 11/19/13 8:14 am
RNY on 05/13/13
On November 19, 2013 at 3:53 PM Pacific Time, BigTMoe wrote:

I know, right?  I protested a little-- but they insisted, and quite honestly, I was in a LOT of pain, so I just took them!  They continued every 3 hours with Tylenol - and then Tramadol alternating each, and then boosting with Oxycontin when needed.  One time it was time for Tylenol and oxycontin, so they gave them to me all at once, and OH MAN!! It hurt so bad!  Taking them all together made me so sore.  After that, I made them at least break the Tylenols in half for me-- and I took each half about 10 minutes apart...  lesson learned!

Yeah, I think back now, and wonder the same thing-- why not do pain through the IV?  At least they wouldn't have had to wake me up every 3 hours then!

Oh no...don't fool yourself with that one. I swear, nurses must get a bonus for how many times they can wake a patient. When I had my first son (over 40 hours of labor in the hospital after 20+ hours at home and then a c-section) and he was in the NICU for a while due to GBS and they came in the first night (now keep in mind, I had not really slept in THREE DAYS) and woke me up to tell me they were giving me something in my IV to help me sleep. SERIOUSLY!?!  Just leave me the frick alone and I'll sleep!

I have actually NEVER had an overnight stay in a hospital not result in someone waking me to tell me they were giving me either something to help me sleep or something for the pain. Just put it in my freaking IV and leave me alone!! I put a note on my door when I had my RNY that said "Don't wake me unless the building is on fire" and you guessed it...woken up FOUR times that night. I could not WAIT to get home. UGH!!!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

RNY on 10/21/13

They don't really want to wake you, trust me. I hate when I have to wake someone for an eval or therapy, but the physician ordered my services, so I am obligated to attempt to perform my services. 

In regards to waking you up for meds, you do realize they HAVE to tell you what they are giving you EVERY TIME due to legal and ethical issues, right? Nurses can't just pump you up at anytime with random meds, especially when you are unconscious. Yes, it's a pain in the ass, but it's the right thing to do. I find it laughable if anyone thinks they are going to get complete, undisturbed rest (like you would at home) in the hospital. You're there for a medical reason, therefore, you require medical intervention and monitoring. Just the way it is. 

Most Active
Recent Topics