Has anybody Self paid for RNY?

Jellybear
on 11/19/13 5:23 am

I am just wondering if anybody else had self paid for the RNY surgery?  I have no insurance and we have decided I will go ahead and self pay.  The hospital I am working with has not dealt with anyone doing this, but the financial advisor said she sees no problems with it.  I'll know by the end of the week what the exact plan is.  What it is so far is they'll set up a payment plan and need an account or card to auto withdraw from each month the amount we set up.  She thought $100-200/month should work just fine.  I've had all the blood tests known to man done at this point and everything is coming back as normal.  I believe, from what my PCP and surgeon have said, the only things left are an appointment with the dietician and psychologist as well as perhaps one with a cardiologist just to make sure everything is all lined up.  Since I am self-pay my surgeon is saying I do not have to wait even a 3 month period and once the financial department says everything is lined up it will all go very quickly, even within a month!  *EEK!*  I'm EXCITED and NERVOUS!  I'm so ready for this though.  I know I can do the liquid diet no problem, as I did Optifast for 5 months a couple years ago without issues.  I will do anything and everything they ask of me... I WANT and NEED my real life... the life I'm supposed to have!!

I've thought about this for years and when my PCP recommended it I was shocked at first but also realize he is looking out for my best interests.  I just never thought this incredible opportunity would be at my grasp... and all happening so 'quickly'.  

Just curious if anybody has gone this route.  I will be doing the surgery locally in the US.  My surgeon does life-long aftercare as well.  His belief is even at goal weight you need support nutritionally and psychologically.  

ebtiger24
on 11/19/13 5:34 am - AL
RNY on 12/13/12 with

I paid for mine. I paid my surgeon and his office paid the hospital and anesthesiologist. I did not finance though so I am not sure how that would work with the hospital. 

PetHairMagnet
on 11/19/13 6:04 am
RNY on 05/13/13
On November 19, 2013 at 1:23 PM Pacific Time, Jellybear wrote:

I am just wondering if anybody else had self paid for the RNY surgery?  I have no insurance and we have decided I will go ahead and self pay.  The hospital I am working with has not dealt with anyone doing this, but the financial advisor said she sees no problems with it.  I'll know by the end of the week what the exact plan is.  What it is so far is they'll set up a payment plan and need an account or card to auto withdraw from each month the amount we set up.  She thought $100-200/month should work just fine.  I've had all the blood tests known to man done at this point and everything is coming back as normal.  I believe, from what my PCP and surgeon have said, the only things left are an appointment with the dietician and psychologist as well as perhaps one with a cardiologist just to make sure everything is all lined up.  Since I am self-pay my surgeon is saying I do not have to wait even a 3 month period and once the financial department says everything is lined up it will all go very quickly, even within a month!  *EEK!*  I'm EXCITED and NERVOUS!  I'm so ready for this though.  I know I can do the liquid diet no problem, as I did Optifast for 5 months a couple years ago without issues.  I will do anything and everything they ask of me... I WANT and NEED my real life... the life I'm supposed to have!!

I've thought about this for years and when my PCP recommended it I was shocked at first but also realize he is looking out for my best interests.  I just never thought this incredible opportunity would be at my grasp... and all happening so 'quickly'.  

Just curious if anybody has gone this route.  I will be doing the surgery locally in the US.  My surgeon does life-long aftercare as well.  His belief is even at goal weight you need support nutritionally and psychologically.  

So I don't want to be a big downer...but what exactly have they disclosed as the price to you that they will accept 200 a month? That would have been for the rest of my life with what my charges came to in the end if I'd not had insurance.

My surgery was close to 80K, IIRC, for everything and of course then there were significant discounts with insurance and I paid a small percentage of that as my co-insurance amount. But the folks I know who self-paid had to put 15-20K down and then pay the balance the day of surgery. 

And there is a point of having a 3 month period to prepare. Personally, I think 3 months is too short a time.  This is not "I am going to have major, life-altering surgery and am writing a check" type of action, IMO. You need to go through the nutrition classes, have psychologist appts to deal with your issues that got you here, prepare mentally and so forth. 

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

cajungirl
on 11/19/13 9:48 am

Most surgeons have a cash pay price that includes surgery and some period of aftercare. My surgeon also had negotuated prices with the hospital and anesthesiologist for cash pay customers. 

It included 2 days in the hospital. If I had had complications it would have cost me additional money. My cash pay price in 2005 was $25,000

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

cajungirl
on 11/19/13 9:54 am
On November 19, 2013 at 2:04 PM Pacific Time, PetHairMagnet wrote:
On November 19, 2013 at 1:23 PM Pacific Time, Jellybear wrote:

So I don't want to be a big downer...but what exactly have they disclosed as the price to you that they will accept 200 a month? That would have been for the rest of my life with what my charges came to in the end if I'd not had insurance.

My surgery was close to 80K, IIRC, for everything and of course then there were significant discounts with insurance and I paid a small percentage of that as my co-insurance amount. But the folks I know who self-paid had to put 15-20K down and then pay the balance the day of surgery. 

And there is a point of having a 3 month period to prepare. Personally, I think 3 months is too short a time.  This is not "I am going to have major, life-altering surgery and am writing a check" type of action, IMO. You need to go through the nutrition classes, have psychologist appts to deal with your issues that got you here, prepare mentally and so forth. 

I didn't have any nutrition classes I had to attend and I didn't need phycological clearance. In my consult surgeon waived these because he knew I was emotionally ready to commit. 

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

Ruby R.
on 11/19/13 6:15 am

Insurance paid for my RNY, but someone told me it cost about like a new Honda.  That was nine years ago.  I would have paid for it if the insurance had not approved.  Your surgeon may have a plan. 

Ruby  

RNY 3/2005    

Jellybear
on 11/19/13 6:23 am

They are telling me 20-30K.  I also have been wondering about the pre-op things.  I guess we'll see.  I don't plan to just jump into it.  I understand this is a huge thing and nothing minor by any means.  It's good to hear what others have experienced and insights from those who have been through it.  My understanding is there is a significant discount from this particular hospital/doctor when you don't have insurance.  I will have more concrete information soon so guess I'll wait to until I have that in hand.  :)  

Jostamo
on 11/19/13 6:40 am

I self paid. I had thought about surgery for several years, but, like you never really thought it was something I could do financially. I talked to several Dr's about it, and many thought it was a great idea, but, since I was moving for work reasons, my insurance kept changing, and I couldn't get the process 'off the ground'. 

I started to think about it again in early July 2013, and had my surgery at the end of August! I have NO regrets.. and don't feel like a 3 month  pre-op period would have been necessary . I think everyone going into this surgery has probably thought long and hard about it.. and we should all go into it knowing how much life CHANGE it will entail.. I am following the program my Dr gave me, and I am working on the reasons I gained the weight in the first place with a therapist. I am doing great, feel fantastic and only wish I had been able to afford it years ago!

My Dr had me on a 3 week 'pre diet, ' the first two weeks were a combo of shakes during the day and a healthy protein and veggie dinner . The last week was shakes only. I felt ready, mentally and physically when the day came.  Everyone is different, if you feel ready and are prepared mentally for the changes ahead, that's the first hurdle! Just know that you have a lot of work ahead learning a new lifestyle, eating style and conquering the issues that made this surgery necessary.. You can do this!

kbinaz
on 11/19/13 8:45 am

I self-paid.  I paid the whole amount at once, didn't finance it.  

Lora R.
on 11/19/13 6:40 am
RNY on 09/12/13

My out of pocket after insurance was $11,000 (they paid 50% of allowable).  I called prior to the surgery and asked for a 30% discount if paid in full.  After I got the bill I asked for 40% and they accepted that.  If you have any funds available that you could pay any in full, it would help.

RNY: 9/12/13 HW:  347  SW:  315  CW:  183  BEST THING I EVER DID FOR MYSELF! 

Most Active
Recent Topics