Clothes that are to big

cjd3161
on 11/24/13 10:16 am - TX
Do we get rid of them or hang onto? I guess that I have been on so many yoyo diets that I always gained my weight back so a part of me is afraid to get rid of my clothes that I'm shrinking out of, should I get rid of them????

Cj

Melissa Nicely
on 11/24/13 10:25 am - Chesapeake, OH
RNY on 05/06/13

I have kept 1 outfit that I wore at my biggest size, the other clothes are given away as soon as they start to look baggy on me. I have no plans on ever being that big again and there are other people out there that can use my bigger clothes rather then keep them in my closet. Plus they aren't hanging around in there tempting me to fall back into old habits of thinking. I

Snydcm1
on 11/24/13 10:26 am

I got rid of mine I am not going back!! I have been shopping at thrift stores for the first time in my life  for jeans rather than spend on new ones.

PetHairMagnet
on 11/24/13 10:35 am
RNY on 05/13/13
On November 24, 2013 at 6:16 PM Pacific Time, cjd3161 wrote:
Do we get rid of them or hang onto? I guess that I have been on so many yoyo diets that I always gained my weight back so a part of me is afraid to get rid of my clothes that I'm shrinking out of, should I get rid of them????

I get clothes out of my closet as soon as I realize they do not fit me. I have NO PLANS to ever go back up in size EVER. I cannot mentally tell myself I am going to be slim and work hard at maintaining my loss if I have 'safety' clothes to grow back into.

What I do have is the top, pants and bra I was wearing in the picture that was my rock bottom. They are hanging up at my height (bra on top of sweater) at the back of my closet and when I walk in, they are staring at me in all their giant size 26 and 28 and 48DD glory. And when I slipped on a pair of size 12 pants today, effortlessly, I was reminded of how far I have come and how much work and effort I will have to put into that continued journey for the rest of my life if I don't ever want to pull those off the wall and walk out of that closet in them ever again. 

But otherwise...they are OUTTA MY HOUSE! I bought a rack to hang them in three basic categories for no more than one week once I realize they are too large. One is to give to other tall 'losers' like myself because giving my things to someone 5'4" just would not work. :)  One is to go to Dress for Success and one is consignment sales that are twice a year in my area. Those go on a monthly basis to our storage unit and are literally 'invisible' to me and won't ever come back to my house. Anything that does not sell at consignment is donated and I get a receipt from the consignment operators. These are 'pop-up' sales, which I prefer to consignment stores for a number of reasons.

This surgery was probably 25% stomach and the other 75% had to happen in my brain. And I am still working really hard on my brain through therapy and group support and journaling and places like OH. But I could not be effective on the mental piece if I had those giant clothes hanging around waiting for me like ghosts of all my past years. 

This is not a diet, this is a total lifestyle change and thin people don't have fat people clothes in their closet. I am living my life as a getting to thin person. No fat clothes needed. :)

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

PetHairMagnet
on 11/24/13 10:37 am
RNY on 05/13/13

One thing I should have clarified...when I get to my goal weight if I find I go smaller for a period of time, I WILL hang on to all the clothes at the goal weight size. But above that...they're like the baseball player who didn't touch home plate before the catcher did...OUTTA HERE!!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

cjd3161
on 11/24/13 11:17 am - TX
I'm just starting my new life 5 weeks post op started at 209 down to 190 I don't plan on going back either wanted to see what others were doing, I've got them boxed up to take to a woman's shelter to donate, thanks for the replies

Cj

Sherrie P.
on 11/24/13 11:43 am
RNY on 02/06/13

I kept the outfit my before picture was taken in.  My biggest pants.

I have been giving away, consigning, goodwilling and purging all the rest of the big stuff.

Now that I am a 12... (still looks like an 18 or so in the mirror) -- I have been saving my 14's.  I am a bit leery about the reported "bounce-back."  Having been obese since kindergarten, I would be okay if I were a 14 or less for the next 30 years.  I haven't given up or settled in.  If I get to a much smaller size, I will probably go ahead and purge those too.

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

jacklynnsmama
on 11/24/13 11:44 am - WA
RNY on 12/16/13
You send them to MEEEEEEEEEEE!!!! ;)
PetHairMagnet
on 11/24/13 12:04 pm, edited 11/24/13 12:04 pm
RNY on 05/13/13
On November 24, 2013 at 7:44 PM Pacific Time, jacklynnsmama wrote: You send them to MEEEEEEEEEEE!!!! ;)

Are you tall, and what size are you in now? If you don't mind sharing. 

cjd3161
on 11/24/13 12:49 pm - TX
No not tall, my pants that are too big are 18 and 2x or xl shirts are 3x

Cj

Most Active
Recent Topics