diarrhea

go_girl
on 12/2/13 10:54 pm

Hey all, am exactly 1 wk post op today and ever since i had a bowel movement 3 days ago, i have been struggling with diarrhea and my stomach/ bowel makes all of this weird horrible noises. I am trying to keep up with  my fluid intake but its difficult because everything tastes nasty now and am tired of the liquid phase of the diet which i have a wk left before I can venture to pureed food, I feel weak and I know when i start pureed foods i will have much energy but the diarrhea and liquids only is killing me. Anyone else went through this?

jazzycatz
on 12/2/13 11:19 pm - Joppa, MD

Personally, I was spared the diarrhea after surgery. But I have read quite a number of posts in my time here with similar complaints. Remember you are on a liquid diet. Liquids in mean liquids out. It should taper off once you start on a more solid food diet.

The noises are most likely post-op gas. Remember you are just 7 days past a major rerouting of your insides. Your body is just started to determine what happened and how to fix it.

You should have your first post-op appointment soon, yea? As long as you aren't in any pain I wouldn't worry much. Just keep getting the liquids in. That is the most important thing right now. Liquids, then protein. I know it sounds wrong but immediately post-op you have got to get the liquids in. Many have made trips to the ER because they needed a couple of bags of fluid.

Congrats on making it through your first week! I had a pretty uneventful recovery (with exception of a few kidney stones because lack of fluids) but it was about 3 months before I really began to feel I was turning a major corner. Vitamins starting getting easier, fluids easier, I could eat a wider variety of things.

barb.k
on 12/2/13 11:51 pm - Williamson, GA

I was warned that diarrhea could occur post op from the barium used for the leak test. I had mine done during surgery thankfully. Between the bowel prep and liquid stage there isn't much to pass. My experience was 2 weeks out I got constipated. Be aware that you can be constipated and still have watery stool around a impaction. Pain meds, lack of fluid and fiber as well as decreased mobility all contribute to constipation. Just a FYI for later. Hang in there.

barb.k

poet_kelly
on 12/3/13 1:56 am - OH

I had the most horrible diarrhea for several days post op.  I was told it was normal.  You should be able to take something like Immodium for it - check with your surgeon first, of course.  It should go away soon.  Make sure you drink a LOT so you don't get dehydrated.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

go_girl
on 12/3/13 7:23 am

Diarrhea is so improved today, was able to up my fluid intake with broths and watered down apple, next tonight will be plain water and more broth. The noises are quieting down, I had buyers remorse today and broke down crying because I was so weak from all that diarrhea, coupled with abd pain from the surgery and not being able to try some foods was really disheartening and I wondered why i did this to myself. I am hoping it gets better soon and when i start losing weight then i have some measure of success. Thank you all for your kind and encouraging words. Even though  I don't know you all, i feel you are all family, there is nothing like sharing this life changing experience with people who have gone through the same exact thing.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 360 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 330 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 193 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 115 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 193 views