Has this happened to you?

Missella20
on 12/1/13 8:20 am
RNY on 07/11/13

Yesterday was a very busy day...my daughter was dancing in the Nutcracker so there was a lot of fuss and driving etc...

So I forgot to bring my water with me. I realized after the fact that I went 6 hours without eating or drinking. And the only thing I had earlier in the day was a hard boiled egg and a handful of almonds. And I had had about half of my water for the day. So when we got home I I served chocolate cake with chocolate frosting to my inlaws. I did not eat any BUT I did lick my finger that had chocolate frosting on the tip. It was about 1/8 t.

After they left, my stomach started cramping and rolling for 5 hours. It was very painful! I tried to drink water and then eat some chicken and cheese and crackers. The cramping got worse. It finally was better in the morning when I woke but was tender. The pain was very similar to the pain I had when I had a gallbladder attack and had it removed years ago. Reminded me of labor pains and gas pains too.

Has this happened to anyone? It doesn't seem to fit the dumping descriptions I have read. I did have diarrhea in the morning. But does not eating or drinking for hours cause this? Or was it caused from licking frosting on an empty stomach? I have not had any problems so far, I am 4 mos out. This experience really scared me and I would appreciate any feedback from you all.

Thanks!

HW 264    SW 234    CW 149    5'4" 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 12/1/13 8:38 am - OH

No, doesn't sound like dumping (especially since it was auch a tiny amount of sugar) but sometimes pouches can be VERY temperamental about what you eat if you go too long without eating.  Even at 6 years out, and with a pretty "iron" pouch,  if I go too long between meals I try to eat something more easily digestible and less dense at first.  Otherwise, I sometimes get belly pain. It isn't as severe as what you describe, but it does hurt.  I have mild hypoglycemia, so i usually eat every 3 hours to keep my blood sugar from  dropping, so I don't encounter this very often.  The density of the chicken and cheese (if it was a hard cheese) would have probably bothered me as well.

You should probably always carry something with you to eat and drink.  I always have a protein bar (and usually some almonds) in my purse, keep another protein bar in the glove compartment of the car, and have a couple of bottles of water in the trunk of the car.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Missella20
on 12/1/13 8:46 am
RNY on 07/11/13

Thanks! I will definitely keep some supplies in my car from now on. I don't have a blood sugar dropping problem but I was very thirsty. Lol. Stupid me. And the frosting I licked off my finger was automatic..I have not had sweets at all. Thanks for your help!

HW 264    SW 234    CW 149    5'4" 

Ocalasam
on 12/2/13 1:19 am
RNY on 12/18/12

You probably didn't dump on such a small amount of sugar.  Since my surgery, if I go too long without eating or drinking, I feel horrible.  It's actual pain.  I am with Lora - I learned the hard way.  I keep some nuts or a protein bar with me and will pretty much find water wherever I am.  It takes a bit of planning.  It's especially hard to plan for trips.  I just got back from a 10 hour car trip to inlaws and I brought nuts, water, protein bars and protein shakes with me so I wouldn't be caught in a pinch since I didn't know what to expect for food.  I'm glad I did.  They ate a large breakfast (I could eat eggs) and didn't eat again until dinner.  I would have been miserable.  It's not as easy as in the past when you could just drive through a McDonalds and grab something to eat!!!

Most Active
Recent Topics