Savory protein shakes???

Dcgirl
on 12/3/13 10:13 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

Omg you are so close to goal and give me hope I can make it to 170! Congrats!!!

southbay311
on 12/4/13 11:33 am - NV
RNY on 02/22/12

you will make goal this is work, but so worth the efforts!

H/W 326   S/W 287                                                                                     GW 145                                                      
Dcgirl
on 12/3/13 10:12 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

Thanks, all! I appreciate the advice. I ordered chicken soup flavor, no flavor, Minor's chicken base and read the Bariatric Foodie Guide to Perfect Protein Shakes. I also got 12 miniature cottage cheese containers :) I'm feeling much more positive so thank you!!!

Only 12 days to go! Thanks for chiming in about time off of work as well-I was getting freaked out reading about people who needed a month or more off. Crossing my fingers I'm a lucky one *****covers quickly!

NadiaM
on 12/3/13 11:18 am

I had surgery on Oct. 1st and could have gone back to work after 1 week but took 2. After 36 hrs I was off pain meds and doing really well - a little fatigued in the first week but that's about it - was even able to sleep on my side on day 2. 

Im sure you will be more than fine on a train ride!

Good luck with your surgery

diane48
on 12/3/13 12:19 pm
RNY on 05/07/13

I got different soups from Trader Joe's--tomato and roasted red pepper(the best) and added unflavored protien powder to them.   Whole Foods might have them.  Just can't get them mix the protin powder in when it is too  hot because the protien can get clumpy and unappetizing.  I also had the Unjury chicken soup, also and loved it.  In fact I felt like I didn't have enough to make it through the 2 weeks before surgery and 2 weeks after that I needed.  I found it was a great way to get enough protien and fluid in without more sweet stuff.

MickeyDee
on 12/3/13 6:01 pm

Pureeing your favorite soup, heating it, then adding unflavored protein powder is a good way to get flavor instead of sweetness.  Also, I like the Syntrax Nectar Cappuccino or the Lemon Tea for a change.

striving1969
on 12/3/13 6:51 pm
I've tried the Unjury Chicken soup and it is very good (you may tire of it pretty quickly). The Chike brand protein mixes are flavorful, and THICK, so you will feel full quickly. Isopure Whey protein in Vanilla, (low carb), can be mixed with unsweetened Almond Milk, sugar free pudding, peanut butter, splenda, and ice for a nice shake. The "Better than Boullion" chicken base is an excellent choice for making chicken broth, and you don't have to add anything extra for flavor. Yoplait makes a diabetic, carb control yogurt in a variety of flavors that's tasty. Sugar free popsicles are a great treat as well. I was up and driving in a couple days after my release from the hospital, but that varies if you are on pain meds.
PetHairMagnet
on 12/5/13 2:45 am
RNY on 05/13/13

I love to mix mine with coffee, unsweetened tea and flax milk. All of which help cut the sweetness. I also use PB2 in some shakes to help give it more 'salted' vs. sweet.  

I took one week off work and frankly, could have gone back a few days earlier but I already had the time scheduled off and enjoyed the days at home with my husband. No one has a crystal ball and can say if you'll through with zero complications as I did or if you'll be dealing with serious issues, so I hope you have some flexibility to not attend or adjust that Jan 3 date if needed.  For me it would be less about the ability from a health perspective and being very wise in what I could travel with from a nutrition perspective and be sure my protein and hydration needs were being met for the duration of that long day. Will you be able to sip water while in the panel? Can you get up and walk 90 minutes into it for at least a few minutes or is it a dead heat panel with no bio-breaks built in? 

Good luck to you, the 16th is just a blink away!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 306 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 225 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 290 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 148 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 225 views