Savory protein shakes???

Dcgirl
on 12/3/13 4:08 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

Hi all!  I have been lurking on here for some months, and today is my first post!  I am 13 days from RNY and on day 2 of a liquid diet.  I will die if I have another sweet shake!  Any ideas for savory shakes?  I just ordered two huge containers of Unjury Chicken Soup flavor and I have looked at all the recipes I can find on the site, but no luck.

On an unrelated topic, my RNY is on December 16th.  I am taking 1.5 weeks off of work and working at home two days (plus one day for Christmas - it's a full two weeks).  On Jan 3rd, I have to take a train for 4 hours to a conference to be on a panel for 3 hours.  Is this feasible?  I am getting nervous because some people here on the site seem to have taken 6 weeks off, while others say they were up and driving 3 days later.  I have no doubt it varies by person.  I have no health problems and am very mobile now.

Thanks for any and all advice!  I seriously read a ton of these posts and replies - thanks for being such a great community!

saterry
on 12/3/13 4:12 am - IN
Revision on 10/03/13

I mix my vanilla and chocolate shake with decaf coffee. Cuts the sweetness down and changes up the taste !

SRVG 1997 SW 301   Revision to RNY 10/3/13 SW 247 GW 130  Ht 5'8

chris_ruff
on 12/3/13 4:16 am
RNY on 04/07/09 with

i know you can get chicken soup flavored protein from unjury, but i've never had it so i can't comment on its flavor. 

i took 2 weeks off too and was just VERY tired. like immediately go to sleep after work tired. i think a train ride would be fine because its sedentary and you should be fine for the panel, but don;t plan anything more than that. 

--Christina
dragonlove
on 12/4/13 11:28 am
RNY on 11/20/13

I really loved the Unjury Chicken Soup flavored protein. I tried it today for the first time! Tasty!

Pam (RNY: 11/20/2013)

pathchic
on 12/3/13 4:21 am - FL
RNY on 08/07/13

I ended up taking about 1 1/2 weeks, it was enough for me, I was feeling crazy at home.  The biggest challenge was fatigue, one day I actually shut my office door and took a nap!  Make sure to keep fluids going during your commute and meeting - those marathon meetings can be a killer.  You will likely have to get a shake in - so plan ahead!

alaskasusan
on 12/3/13 4:47 am - AK
RNY on 02/11/13

The best thing I did before my surgery was I made some terrific homemade chicken broth, defatted it, and froze it in small containers.  When I wanted something not sweet, I just thawed out one of the broths, blended it in my Bullet mixer with Isopure unflavored, then warmed it up to sipping temperature.  Was wonderful, but you could do it with something like "Better Than Bouillion" if you don't want to make your own. 

For regular shakes, I add a splash of sugar-free Torino flavorings to the water, and about 1/2 teaspoon of powdered peanut butter (FitNutz seems to mix better) to the dry powder, then mix it all up.  Seems to cut the sweet and change the taste just enough for me.

As for the train trip, it might be okay especially if you can nap.  I took a lot of naps the first few weeks.  Felt fine, just tired so if you are up to it physically you will probably be okay as long as you take care and not let yourself get too worn out.

Good luck to you!!

Mary Catherine
on 12/3/13 6:13 am

Protein powder does not taste very good, which is why we flavor and sweeten it.  Under than mixing with bouillon there is not much to make it savory.

I was up and doing light housework two days after surgery and back to a desk job six days after surgery. 

Not at all savory, but the best tasting protein powder hands down are from BSN.  Either Lean Dessert or Sythra-6.  The other protein powders have a "stinky, sour smell".  When you open a can of BSN it smells like a box of cake mix. 

I have never tried the chicken flavored protein mix.  Hope it turns out to something you enjoy. 

Halen10
on 12/3/13 6:43 am

I'm having my bypass on the 18th, two weeks from tomorrow.  I just have swanson's chicken broth.  Tastes good to me.  Good luck on your surgery.

Dcgirl
on 12/3/13 10:14 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

Good luck to you as well! I hope to be home and feeling good by the 18th (crossing fingers)

southbay311
on 12/3/13 7:01 am - NV
RNY on 02/22/12

I am 21 months post op and have discovered a wonderful way to get my protein in.  If you like flavored coffee then buy the PURE protein frosty chocolate from Walmart about 18.00 make a pot of hot coffee (my Keurig doesnt get hot enough and it doesnt dissolve) I use my MR Coffee and then put 2/3 scoop into hot coffee cup, I use a travel mug fill it 1/2 full stir in powder and then add balance of coffee....Tastes wonderful with a little creamer or protein milk with reduced sugar. I look forward to a cup or 2 every day.  Low calories high in protein hot and very tasty almost a hot cocoa for cafe mocha type flavor.  WONDERFUL

Note do not heat protein powder in microwave...bubble over and makes a huge mess.  I tried this with the coffee from the Keurig and then zapped in microwave not recommended ;)

H/W 326   S/W 287                                                                                     GW 145                                                      
Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 243 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 266 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 312 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 270 views