7 months in and losing my way

guttedgrace
on 12/10/13 9:41 pm
RNY on 05/02/13

Hey everyone,

It's been a while since I've visited here (and maybe that's part of my struggle). I had my surgery in May and I've lost almost 100 lbs, which I am very happy about. Starting in early October, I started to go off the weight loss "diet". I stopped counting carbs and protein and started eating sugary and fatty foods. I also stopped going to the gym. I went for basically a whole month without losing weight and it wasn't because of a stall this time. I can't seem to get myself back on track and it scares me that I'm struggling when I still have 5-6 months of prime weight loss time ahead of me. (130 is my goal, but I'd really like to try for 115). And it also makes me nervous that I won't be able to keep the weight off in the long run. I did start the weight loss "diet" back in January before my surgery-so I lasted 9 months before making a mistake. I just can't seem to stop the mistakes anymore. Did any of you go through this while in your 1st year post-surgery (or any time, I guess)? Any advice is welcome on how to get back on track.

Note: I have recently started seeing a psychologist, but we're focusing more on my self-esteem than my food issues (though those two seem to cross over a lot).

Thank you for your support!

Kaia

poet_kelly
on 12/10/13 9:44 pm - OH

What "mistakes" can't you seem to stop making?  What keeps you from stopping them?

Are you tracking your food intake?  Do you attend a WLS support group?  What about checking in here more often?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

guttedgrace
on 12/10/13 9:52 pm
RNY on 05/02/13

The mistakes I make are that I'm not tracking my food. I'll eat sugar and carbs when I feel like it. I get at least 30g of protein a day, but that's obviously not enough. My main issue is that I can't stop the sugar and carbs. I'm craving them all the time and can't seem to resist them anymore. I seem to have a lack of motivation, which is annoying when I've worked so hard to be where I am and my life has been improving for the better.

I don't go to a WLS support group. I tried the one at the hospital where I had my surgery and didn't like it very much. I used to go on this site every day but haven't been on in months.

poet_kelly
on 12/10/13 9:56 pm - OH

So it sounds like these are the things you need to try:

1.  Track your food.

2.  Keep the sugary, carby stuff out of the house.  I'll tell you what I've found.  I love starchy stuff.  But the more I eat it, the more I crave it.  If I make it a few days without it, I stop craving it so much.  And I'm kinda lazy.  If I don't have it in the house, I'm not likely to eat it.  I might crave a cookie but usually not enough to go out to the store in the cold late at night to buy some cookies.

3.  Get more protein.  If you fill up on protein, I bet you'll crave the carbs less.  Plus you won't have much room for them even if you still do crave them.

4.  Find a support system.  Come here more often.  Find a different support group if you didn't like the one you tried.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Kim S.
on 12/12/13 5:41 am - Helena, AL

Yep.  What Kelly said.

Suck it up buttercup.  You know what to do-now do it.  I'm proud of you for seeking therapy-that is a step in the right direction.  Please stop with the "diet" language and mentality.  This is NOT a diet....it should be a way of life.  There will be times when you eat less than perfectly but food is food...none should be labeled as "bad" or "diet"....you KNOW which food is best for your body.....choose that food first.

Ocalasam
on 12/10/13 11:00 pm
RNY on 12/18/12

I can't add a lot, since Kelly's advice was so great.  All I can say is that you clearly know what you're doing wrong and you know what you need to do.  You have to be strong and just do it.  You will certainly not get to goal and will definitely gain back your weight if you don't get it under control, like yesterday.  The surgery only fixes your stomach - not your head.  You need to really try and work with your psychologist on why your are struggling so much right now and see if he/she has any suggestions for how to get back on and stay on track.  I wish you the best of luck. 

gbsinsatx
on 12/11/13 12:04 am - San Antonio, TX

Please see my profile page if interested.

Age at RNY: 55, Height: 5'4", Consultation Weight: 331 lbs-12/1/2009, RNY Surgery Weight: 281 lbs-3/22/2010, Goal Weight Reached: 141 lbs-6/23/2011, Lowest Weight: 126 lbs-12/11/2011

Current Age: 61, Current Weight: 161 lbs-5/20/2016Total Weight Loss Maintained: 170 lbs  

BWB
on 12/11/13 4:36 am

It helps me to make a list of things I want to accomplish.  Most of the time it just means making a schedule and following it.  It is a good thing that you are seeing a therapist.  

If you make a menu for the week and have the food on hand, try preparing extra that you can freeze for the future and when it comes time to have a meal you will have a good choice to select from.  Try meditation and really talk to your inner soul about the joy of reaching your goal and the change you want to accomplish.  Most eating is idle nervousness, not knowing what to do with your time so get some hobbies, read good books, and fill your mind with constructive activities.  Think thin.

blopez579
on 12/12/13 4:18 am
RNY on 09/11/13

Great advice, pre planning meals is so important!  If you know what you are going to have, and when, and it's there for you, it's so much easier to stay on track. 

Also, at times when you are wanting to do something that you know is not good for you and your goals, have a little conversation with yourself.  Be kind.  Pretend that the part of you that wants to cheat is your beloved, sweet tender child, who wants something, but can't have it.  What would you tell that child?  give a hug, and say, You can't have that.  Let's go for a walk instead. Or I love you sweetie, and I know you want X, but you have really good healthy things to eat.  And then change the subject to distract that child.  Whatever you do, don't be mean to her.  She will stick her tongue out at you and make more "mistakes" when you aren't paying attention! lol  But be firm, and tell that child that there is no option here.

PetHairMagnet
on 12/12/13 1:39 am
RNY on 05/13/13

Good for you for seeing someone and I hope that it is an effective tool to help you make better choices about what you put in your mouth.

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 55 replies · 437 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 362 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 361 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 25 replies · 310 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 6 replies · 165 views
Recent Topics