dealing with traumatic medical stuff

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/11/13 2:41 am

Sometimes people with self inflicted injuries or complications from that are treated differently than other cases. One can argue that a lot of illnesses is self inflicting - obesity, hearth problems, cancers, and so on. Even some accidents are simply people's fault. 

I think going to the original ER and see how can you help them understand how their treatment affected you - may help you and the team of docs and nurses.. Maybe that would empower you ?Trying to bring understanding of some issues to ER ? 

I believe a lot of healthy issues are self inflicted: obesity, vitamin deficiencies, diabetes, HBP, etc. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

poet_kelly
on 12/11/13 3:23 am - OH

I think you are absolutely right about self-inflicted injuries.  And at the same time, if someone is so depressed or otherwise ill that they are injuring themselves, well, that's usually caused by something not in their control at all.  I have very severe PTSD (severe enough to qualify for Social Security disability, severe enough that my student loans were forgiven because my doctor said - and the government agreed - that I am permanently disabled by it) as a result of severe childhood abuse.  That abuse was not self-inflicted.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/11/13 6:52 am

Kelly, my point, that I guess I did not made clearly, is that it should no matter to medical professional who was responsible for the injury and how they need to treat the patient.  Maybe You can help them understand  that.  Maybe you can bring to that ER an awareness that their treatment is faulty.  Maybe speaking out and trying to be an advocate for you and people like you would empower you and help you deal with some of the anxiety. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

(deactivated member)
on 12/11/13 2:48 am

In the Er there are so many people that come in and say they are in pain just to get pills.I think sometimes they pile all of us in that catagory

Ashley in Belgium
on 12/11/13 3:53 am - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

Do you have someone who can go with you tomorrow?  Even if it's just to sit with you in the waiting room and distract you a bit?  Or someone you trust enough to be your advocate in case you are unable to for yourself?  I had a very horrific experience giving birth to my oldest son - so bad that there was litigation against both the OBGYN and the hospital which I won - and after that experience I was paralyzed when it came to dealing with medical issues.  When it came time for the birth of my second child I asked both my husband and my mother to be my advocate and it made the process bearable and I got the care I needed because they demanded it.

Now I live in Europe and the the care here is very different and more human in my experience.  But I still ask a close friend - or my husband but more often a friend - to come with me.  It makes me feel safe and more secure and I tend to stick up for myself and be more assertive strangely.  Just an idea... I really hope it's a positive experience for you tomorrow.  You need lots of those to cancel out a negative one.

Take Care - Ashley

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

poet_kelly
on 12/11/13 3:57 am - OH

I've known quite a few people that had traumatic experiences giving birth, and I think that is so sad, because that should be the happiest time of your life.  I mean, sometimes complications do happen and then it can't be so happy, but even then, the care you get from medical people at that time should be so compassionate and caring and.... well, I'm just really sorry you had such a negative experience.  And you're right, it takes a lot of positive experiences to cancel out one really traumatic bad one.

I don't have anyone that can go with me tomorrow.  I do take someone with me to medical appointments now if I can.  Last spring I had to have a breast biopsy and I had to argue with the hospital a bit but was able to have a friend with me the whole time I was awake.  I took a friend with me to the dentist recently when I had to have a lot of dental work done, too.  But sometimes there's no one available to go with me.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Ashley in Belgium
on 12/11/13 4:22 am - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

Well I'd go with you if I was able to because I know it has made such a difference in my life. That sucks that no one is available tomorrow.  I hope you get some more ideas on this thread - something good that will allow you to get a decent nights sleep! Will you be able to bring your service dog?  Does this help relieve your anxiety?  My heart goes out to you.  I'll be sending lots of positive mojo your way!

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

poet_kelly
on 12/11/13 4:24 am - OH

Isaac does get to go to medical appointments with me (most of them, anyway) and that does help.

knilsson66
on 12/11/13 4:09 am - Goleta, CA

Have you considered seeing a therapist? A little counseling is often helpful in the case of any type of trauma.  A competent therapist may be able to help you deal with the trust issues you've developed as a result of your experience and also help you develop new skills that will enable you to be a better advocate for your own medical care.  No one should have to put up with pain like that for any procedure.  But it's often hard to speak up and insist that the treatment stop until pain meds are provided.  I know for myself, I don't like to be a bother and I always try to be a "good patient".  But there are limits!  I really hope you don't let this bad experience prevent you from getting medical care when you need it.  Your health is the most important thing! 

Kim

HW  372 |  SW 338  |  RNY 8/28/2013 

poet_kelly
on 12/11/13 4:20 am - OH

I was actually in therapy at the time the event happened.  Afterward, I stopped going.  I'm sure therapy would be helpful.  I don't trust therapists much now, either.

Most Active
Recent Topics