OT: Colleagues

SkinnyScientist
on 12/21/13 4:08 am

Hi. I just want to vent.

I work in a production/quota orientated job.  You dont make your numbers, your are fired and/or priviledges (like telework..comp to make extra money PROMOTIONS) are taken away.

I get so annoyed to because whenever I want to go for promotion or something has to happen numbers wise, there is ALWAYS some snafu.

Last quarter (i.e. last monday), production was not allocated correctly. Hence my percentage dropped from the needed 95% to 94%.  It takes the trouble shooter (a person with just a 2 year degree) FOUR DAYS to "fix it."

And it isnt fixed correctly (i.e. the extra production was put on THIS quarter..not last quarter. I need 4 consecutative months of successful production  to maintain a particular work privelige (sp) and this 94% breaks the chain).

I wrote my boss and let him know to get it corrected. REALLY corrected.  This is about the 4th time in FOUR days of me making that request to my boss.

I met the trouble shooter once many years ago. This person is about the most uncaring, unmotivated human in the world. I think this human fails to realize that his actions have consequences on people. BIG consequences. Or he does and he doesnt care.

I did 15 years of college +grad school + post docing combined. I did not go to school 15 years to be undermined by a relatively uneducated and unmotivated person.

I hate it when my production/success depends on others. I get sick of being brought down by the lowest common denominator. In this case, this person has very little control in my life EXCEPT to make sure the applications are assigned the correct point value....and he cant do that correctly!!! Or chooses not to.

I am so angry becasue that missing 1% represents to ME ,working for free, working during the weekends, and missed time with family and friends. ME missing time for MY hobbies.

It makes me want to scream, yell, and throw things. I would love to kick this guy in the nads. Maybe more.

But he is not here. HEdoesnt have to pay the price for  HIS poor performance and the stress it causes.  I DO.

And I am stuck here, working on a satruday (maybe even a sunday) getting angrier and angrier.

And I am as mad as hell.

I would love to find a way to get even with this person. But unfortuantely, I do not have any "say" over their job/performance.  THe only thing that I could come up with was a ball python from the pet store under his keyboard.

The fantasy is delicious but he isnt worth the $70 for the snake.  He probably is a snake lover too.

I am just so mad. I can literally feel the burning rage in my chest. The emotion is palable.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

knilsson66
on 12/21/13 6:47 am - Goleta, CA

I"m so sorry you are going through this.  I can feel your frustration!  I hope you get this sorted out.  

Kim

HW  372 |  SW 338  |  RNY 8/28/2013 

gtrdyfor50
on 12/21/13 9:53 am
RNY on 10/08/13
That sucks and wow, those are some really, really tough working conditions.

Professor Sonja!!!!
on 12/21/13 10:28 am - Miami, FL
RNY on 08/15/12

I know plenty of people with 2 year degrees (or no degree) who do very well in life.  While this person my be unmotivated and not doing their job correctly obviously their 2 year degree qualified them for the job.  I've seen you throwing around your credentials several times in this forum and it is quite offensive.  I'm sure if your bosses thought you were as wonderful as you indicate  you are they would have found a way to promote you by now.

Come keep it real in R&R 3.0 Want an invite? PM me here.

pathchic
on 12/22/13 2:17 am - FL
RNY on 08/07/13

Ouch...

I try to keep in mind that we get only minor glimpses of each other's lives through this forum, and a lot of innuendo can be read into the typed word - 

SkinnyScientist
on 12/22/13 3:02 am

It is unfortunate that you find me offensive. Please do not read my posts if they disturb you.

I wish you well and hope things so go well for you in the future, Sonja.

RNY on 10/21/13

Hey Lori,

Yes, your emotion is palpable. I hope your meditation can help you work through those feelings of anger. 

Just out of curiosity, what kind of Ph.D type science do you do that is quota based? 95% is a high number and would cause me a lot of stress, too. I would imagine there are other careers out there for someone with 15 years of higher education that aren't production/quota based and are far less stressful. 

Btw, do you feel that way about all people that have two year degrees, or less? I am hoping that you were just reacting and lashing out about this one person in particular. As you know, a college degree doesn't make a person necessarily any more intelligent than a person without a degree. Yes, you can certainly gain more knowledge in a particular area, but you have to work to make yourself well-rounded, both with academic and life knowledge. 

SkinnyScientist
on 12/22/13 3:00 am

HI!  I have my Ph.D in pharmacology and toxicology.

I work at the Patent office and there are quotas/production. I examine everything that goes on or in your body (from stents to new drugs, to cosmetics to shampoo).  It can be fun, but it is hard with the production quota and constant deadlines (i.e no less than 5 different deadlines going on all at one time, and these deadlines are constantly being reset when one thing is completed and other).

No. I do NOT feel that way about degrees. My dad didnt finish High school and my mom was a hair dresser.  What I was reacting against is one very unmotivated person having so much control over other peoples lives. Other people that work hard and really really care. With a lot to lose. For me, I have a wedding coming up to pay for, surgery to get through and pay for, vacation time to recoup so I can go furnishings and etc. THis persons lack of doing the job correctly, the first time, wastes my time (in a way I cant recoup) and has a profound ability to recoup time and make the extra needed money.

I just cant understand why this person does not care and does not take pride in their work to do it correctly the first time.

Thanks!

pathchic
on 12/22/13 2:06 am - FL
RNY on 08/07/13

Boy, do I get where you are coming from- 

a word of advice from a several hard learned lessons- the only way you can count on someone doing their job correctly is if it is a priority to them.  So, now the next step is to figure out how to make it his priority- maybe you aren't complaining to the right person (like his direct supervisor), or maybe he is one of those insecure people who need extra thank yours and pleases, or maybe you aren't making yourself enough of a pest (getting someone off your back and keeping them from calling you can be a good motivator).  Also, I would advise keeping meticulous records - just the facts, with frustration filtered out- for reference when and if you don't get your well deserved promotion.  Good luck!

SkinnyScientist
on 12/22/13 2:53 am

Thank you for your understanding.  I will give it a whirl.  I just don't like to make a pest out of myself, if that is against the decorum of the office. Alternatively, squeaky wheels do get greased.

I wrote a note to my boss yesterday. And he responded favorably and asked me to "hang with him on it."

So yay!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 299 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 273 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 236 views
What's on your Monday Menu?