Almost 1 Week Out

Kristina T.
on 12/22/13 10:21 am - Montebello, CA
RNY on 12/16/13

Hi everyone. So I had my RNY bypass this past Monday and it has definitely been a struggle. My biggest issue right now is eating. I have absolutely no appetite at all. I'm totally content to just not eat at all but I try to force feed myself because I know I have to which just makes it more sickening to me. I know I'm not getting as much protein as I need as the shakes are not agreeing with me. I'm trying to supplement them with yogurt and milk which I find a bit easier to eat. Did anyone else have this issue early on? Eating is the most uncomfortable thing for me and sometimes when I start to drink something - even water - my stomach starts cramping and I have to wait about 5 minutes for it to pass before I can continue. This adds to me not wanting to eat. I know I have to so that my pouch can transition to different foods its just so difficult! Does anyone have any advice I can follow to help with this problem?

HW: 319 SW: 292 CW: 204.0

wdwgram14
on 12/22/13 10:50 am

I had my rny in April and i had the same issues . seems like it took for ever to be able to eat or drink. I second guessed myself every other minite as to why i had the surgery , but each day it got easier, slowly but it worked out. i used dannon non fat strawberry yougurt with my lactose free protein  and ice cubes. blended , i never had a problem with lactose before but i sure did after, that was one turning point when i changed to that protein instead. and tried not to drink my broth to hot just luke warm as hot hurt my pouch. I also ened up having to take Zofran every day i still do 9 months out for nausea. i couldnt drink plain water so i always have walmart brand "crystal light "mixed with my water. the pomogrant flavor not sweet. just flavored a little. i stayed on uree food much longer than needed, hang in there with  the more you heal over the next few weeks it should get easier. i still dont handle solid foods very well but i am ok with that i settled into a routine that works for me , lots of yougurt lol onlu non fat vanilla  only all i can handle , hope this helps feel better and take each day slow and soon you will see a change in your pouch feeling better and chew chew chew :) small tiny bites:)

Dare to dream , Dare to live , Namaste

MrsLitch
on 12/22/13 11:16 am - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12

I was on liquids the first few weeks and progressed to puree. Once I started solids there were times nothing felt good or right so I went back to liquid for a meal or two. It makes it difficult to get the protein in but I was concentrating on liquids in at first so I wouldn't get dehydrated. I drank protein shakes to supplement the protein and the ones I had prior to surgery didn't taste "right" or the same. I found by increasing the amount of water they called for I could tolerate them much easier. Also experiment with different temps of liquid. I could only do ice cold, my friend could only do room temp. Hang in there! It gets better!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

PetHairMagnet
on 12/22/13 11:07 am
RNY on 05/13/13
On December 22, 2013 at 6:21 PM Pacific Time, Kristina T. wrote:

Hi everyone. So I had my RNY bypass this past Monday and it has definitely been a struggle. My biggest issue right now is eating. I have absolutely no appetite at all. I'm totally content to just not eat at all but I try to force feed myself because I know I have to which just makes it more sickening to me. I know I'm not getting as much protein as I need as the shakes are not agreeing with me. I'm trying to supplement them with yogurt and milk which I find a bit easier to eat. Did anyone else have this issue early on? Eating is the most uncomfortable thing for me and sometimes when I start to drink something - even water - my stomach starts cramping and I have to wait about 5 minutes for it to pass before I can continue. This adds to me not wanting to eat. I know I have to so that my pouch can transition to different foods its just so difficult! Does anyone have any advice I can follow to help with this problem?

I am sure it happens, but I don't know of anyone who wants to eat post-op. It is something I just made myself do. I set a timer on my phone and got in protein on a schedule and liquids on a schedule, though for the first month it was largely the same (protein in liquid form). I had surgery in May and rarely feel hunger even now, but I do make sure I get in 100% of my vitamins, protein and hydration every single day. I made a promise when I had this surgery that I'd be compliant and darn it...I will be. 

Milk is something I used to love and cannot tolerate not. I do like yogurt and cheese but liquid cow milk makes me incredibly sick to my stomach. You might want to dial it back on that a bit and see if it helps. Flax and almond milk I tolerate just fine. 

Have you tried the Isopure RTD protein? My new favorite is the Lemon Tea flavor. AWESOME and very easy to get down AND counts as liquid!

Are you trying warm liquids? I know that cold, room temp and warm all reacted differently for me and still do. I HAVE to get 8 oz of warm liquid in (usually coffee) each morning before I can even THINK about putting anything else in my mouth. Same with my husband who is 15 months post-op.

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Sherrie P.
on 12/22/13 11:07 am
RNY on 02/06/13

I was on liquids until 3 weeks out. 

Warmer often goes down easier.

This is just me... but my plan was very serious about liquids above all else in the beginning.  Not getting dehydrated was more important than getting in the protein. Of course they wanted us to try and do the shakes... but liquids was the most important.

Time will make it better. It is hard in the beginning - no appetite, pain, nausea... I had it all too.  

Unjury has a protein chicken noodle soup.

Honestly decaf coffee saved me when cold caused cramps!

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

Jevika
on 12/23/13 12:24 am
RNY on 12/13/13

Not just you - my plan as well.   Very much saw hydration 1st, protein 2nd and then all other things.  If I can get my hydration and protein at the same time, perfection. :P    But hydration was key to keeping basic function, especially mental clarity which is needed heavily as you are managing your food and activity post-op.

go_girl
on 12/22/13 12:19 pm

Hang in there, i second everything everyone has said. I am 4 wks post op and everyday is a struggle, sometimes i feel i did better early on with getting fluids in, protein was difficult because i would have large volume diarrhea after a shake. I am slowly tolerating it now but it has not been easy. Nothing prepares you for the reality of having this surgery. Usually you hear about how wonderful the surgery has been and how people are grateful they had it or how it was the worst decision of their life for people who develop complications that impact the quality of their life but people don't really talk much of how difficult the early stage is post op and the struggles. I am not overly concerned right now on my weight loss which has been impressive for 4 wks out because i would rather focus on getting my energy and health back right now, maybe when am 6mths post op with all of the incredible changes that would hopefully have occurred, i will be more enthusiastic and post before and afters and praising this surgery as the best thing that could have happened to me. Things do get better, for some people quickly and others like me very slowly. I understand what you are feeling and going through and i wish you the best on this journey, just emphasize fluids for now and as soon as you can tolerate protein shakes then start them. And am not eating really well either, am on fluids and shakes to prevent dehydration. Another thing that has helped is prilosec, i was on it prior to surgery for reflux and it was very difficult to drink fluids as i would feel very bloated, full and uncomfortable and my surgeon advised me to up the dose to twice a day and getting fliuds in has been much easier as i feel it go down well with no issues, so if the feeling persists it might be something to think about. My surgeon also informed me that the anastomosis constricts as part of the healing process but from 6 wks out it will start to widen which will make foods easier to pass through.

illinois Gama D.
on 12/22/13 2:21 pm

I am 10 years post so have to stop and think about it sometime, They say "god helps you forget the ugly !!" lol, I had issues with the shakes, i couldnt have the milk, made me so sick, went to soy, now i tolerate skim.  then went to yougart , cottage cheese, refried beans, when do you progress to soft foods? The no appetite is soooo normal, you have just had major surgery all the nerves in  your stomach were cut and things re arranged,  keep trying what your NUT suggested, keep sipping, keep waiking, the sooner you are up and moving the better you feel and may feel like eating .The one saving grace for me  when i wanted :something: was hubby made me home made broth, chicken stock, carrots, onion, celery , then blended it all , it was so tasty, at that point i thought i would die if i had another shake,, i had them for 1 week, that was long enough, i get the sickening thing, do the best you can , but remember, meds, fluids, walk, toot, rest, repeat and YOU WILL FEEL BETTER . Sorry bout the ramble.

Rny 2003

come join the new R&R 3.0, where the fun is:)

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 384 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 357 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 321 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 140 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 3 replies · 110 views
Recent Topics