intolerant!!

go_girl
on 1/5/14 5:43 am

Am not sure what to do, prior to having this surgery, I have never been able to tolerate iron tabs as i would get very sick with a stomach upset and that hasn't changed post surgery. When i take my iron at night just before i go to bed as it should be taken at least 2 hrs after taking anything that contains calcium for better absorption, the next day drinking and keeping fluids down is a real problem. Did anyone have this problem? Any solutions? I need the iron as i was deficient  before surgery but was unaware of it till a day before surgery when i was told my preop testing results. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

poet_kelly
on 1/5/14 5:54 am - OH

The ASMBS says all RNY patients need iron.  What kind or iron are you taking?  Ferrous sulfate, maybe?  That frequently causes an upset stomach and also constipation.  I like carbonyl iron, myself, because it is much easier on the stomach plus we absorb it better with our reduced stomach acid.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

go_girl
on 1/5/14 5:59 am

I am taking 60mg of bariatric advantage iron from ferronyl as directed by my nutritionist. Which brand of iron and dosage are you taking?

poet_kelly
on 1/5/14 6:02 am - OH

Ah, then you're taking carbonyl.  I'm surprised it makes you that sick.

I use Sundown Perfect iron.

You could try heme iron.  It's more expensive, but you can take it with calcium.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

go_girl
on 1/5/14 6:22 am

thanks

Jevika
on 1/5/14 7:21 am
RNY on 12/13/13

stupid question but is Iron something that can be suppository or injectable?

poet_kelly
on 1/5/14 8:09 am - OH

Not that I know of.  You can get an infusion by IV (takes a few hours) but usually they only order iron infusions when  your iron and ferritin levels are dangerously low.  I don't know of anyone that does that routinely instead of taking an iron supplement.

Teri Turner
on 1/5/14 8:38 am, edited 1/5/14 8:42 am - WA
Dear go*girl...

You can. Can still(?) get iron injections, but they need to be injected deep into the muscle via Z-track injection method so you don't end up with lingering ugly iron stains in your flesh. Painful, too. Large volume, given in either hip. Commonly was given to the elderly who have lost the ability to absorb iron (aka pernicious anemia). And the *reason* they can't absorb iron is because the aging gut progressively loses its ability to absorb B-12.

Thus, sublingual B-12, bypassing the gut, going straight to the bloodstream.

I would try them (carbonyl) with a dairyless meal/snack during the meal. I like it best first thng in the morning (include vitamin C), then start milk about 2 or so hours later.

Teri

go_girl
on 1/5/14 10:01 am

@fieldmouse, thanks, will discuss with my surgeon.

MrsLitch
on 1/5/14 10:26 am - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12

I have been anemic at three different times in my life, with all three I was told to take iron, all three times I got very ill from it, unable to keep much down while taking it, so I was given an infusion. After the first time I told my different doctor that I couldn't take it and why but they looked at me like I was nutty and told me to try it anyway. With this being said it was something I was very nervous about when looking at RNY. I spoke to my surgeon about it on our initial consultation and asked for his opinion. He told me we'd monitor my iron and ferritin levels and when we saw a downward slide he'd order an infusion before I got too low. With that being said, I am just 19 months out and my levels are great I haven't dipped at all since surgery without added iron, maybe I'm lucky? or the odd one? but so far so good. But it is something I will maintain a watchful eye on for the rest of my life and will do infusion again if needed. Discuss with your surgeon the options that are available to you.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 360 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 330 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 194 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 115 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 194 views