Post-Op Weight/Thanks

basilmk
on 1/12/14 3:56 am - FL
RNY on 01/07/14

I am less than a week post-op and my weight has fluctuated up and down by 15 lbs since weighing my self the first time after surgery.  At what point can I actually say that this is my post-op weight?  I know that I was and am still filled with fluids and "hot air" from the surgery but wonder when my weight will actually stabilize and quit jumping around?

Also, I have to say thank you to the wealth of information I have received by reading these forums in the last couple of weeks.  I have practically memorized my doctor's information but there are so many variables that are not addressed.  You guys rock!

poet_kelly
on 1/12/14 3:59 am - OH

Your weight will probably always fluctuate a little bit.  That's normal.  The excess weight from the fluids during surgery should be gone in a week or so. 

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

RNY on 10/21/13

What do you mean by "post-op weight?" Isn't your current weight your post-op weight? Give it some time and it will even out, but you'll find that it will still jump around to some degree due to water retention, hormones, etc. Most people lose in a step-like manner instead of a steady slope when you look at a line representation of your loss over time. 

As you will see and read, everyone is different. At 9-10 days post, I still weighed 2 lbs MORE than the morning of surgery. To be fair, I had a ton of fluids via IV while in the hospital and my body loves to hold on to water. ;)

i decided not to weigh myself until I went for my post-op follow up at 1 month. I was pleasantly surprised to find out I had lost 41 lbs since surgery! (Originally I thought it was 33 lbs, but then looking at my info posted on my online medical record, I was actually 8 lbs heavier than what I believed my starting weight was)

Keep following your plan, trust your body and your tool and enjoy your ride. Best wishes!

basilmk
on 1/12/14 5:00 am - FL
RNY on 01/07/14

Wow!  You have amazing control to not weigh yourself for a month!  

SkinnyScientist
on 1/12/14 5:18 am

I am two weeks post op. I weigh myself daily if not twice a day.

I agree..it is HARD not to weigh everyday, let alone a MONTH!

Woo!  Sometimes, I just have to sit back and admire the self control and mental abilities of others on this board (i.e. for the ability to put stuff out of their mind).

There was a Cathy Comic about a year ago called "The new step class" and she kept asking "Is the weight still off?"  "It is still off." as she kept hopping on and off the scale.

I can TOTALLY relate to that comic!

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

RNY on 10/21/13

Hahaha, thanks!

I don't think it was so much control, rather, I know myself really well. I was discouraged to weigh more at 10 days out when I had to  go to my PCP. So, if history is any indicator and I wasn't seeing a consistent loss, I know I would be frustrated, upset, and discouraged...those spell trouble for me and self-sabotage would be lurking around the corner.  I believe that a large part of me changing my lifestyle and behaviors is mental, so I did the opposite of what I would "normally" do and didn't weigh. ;) Don't get me wrong, I was very curious to see if this was "working." 

I do weigh myself regularly now because I'm curious as to how various times of the month, different foods, etc affect my weight and I like seeing the plot points on my graph. =) That said, I don't get upset if I don't lose everyday or even if I gain a pound because I have faith in the process now and I can see and feel it working every day. 

Most Active
Recent Topics