Breakfast? I wish!

debbiejn
on 1/14/14 3:04 am

Hi !  

I haven't been on this board in some time.  However, I really want to know if there is anyone else dealing with the "Breakfast" issue?

I am 3 years and 3 months POST OP Gastric Bypass and while I have never been much of a breakfast person, I now detest (is that the right word?? ) it.  There is nothing I can eat before 10:00 AM.  My Dr. says it's very important that I do but...Do I eat and get sick or just wait until lunch?  I don't over eat and lunch so I am really wondering what the big deal is?   I am satisfied with my weight loss (would like to lose about 20 more lbs) but...I am ok.  

Is breakfast REALLY that important?  If so, any NEW ideas?  

Thanks!

Debbie  

(deactivated member)
on 1/14/14 3:14 am

If you can't eat breakfast why don't you mix protein powder in sugar free hot chocolate it is pretty darn good.I am so glad Kelly posted this a few weeks ago.

Mrs_Stimpy
on 1/14/14 3:24 am
RNY on 12/20/12

I have Carnation instant breakfast - chocolate and sugar-free - every morning.  It works great for me and adds a bit of calcium to my diet too.

Good luck to all of us on our journeys! 

Highest - 222 / Pre-Surgery - 215 / Goal 150

PetHairMagnet
on 1/14/14 3:45 am
RNY on 05/13/13

Does he want you eating by a certain time or within a certain window of waking up? I get up early (5a most days) and so someone telling me to eat by 10 would work because that is pretty close to when I do have breakfast now. But if I woke at 8, that would be WAY too early for me. 

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

poet_kelly
on 1/14/14 3:48 am - OH

I would find something small you can eat without getting sick.  If you eat half a cut of yogurt, would that really make you sick?  Or would you just not enjoy eating it?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

JenniPenny
on 1/14/14 5:28 am - MN

My doc said I have to eat within 90 min of getting up inthe morning to set my metabolism for the day. Waiting longer puts us in starvation mode and we then hang on to

every calorie we take in. I also have Rebound hypoglycemia so have to eat within an hour of getting up anyway. Find something you can eat in the morning - doesn't have

to be a breakfast food. Tea sometimes helps many first-warm tea then a breakfast 30 min later.

Jen 12 yrs post op rNY

selhard
on 1/14/14 5:38 am - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

In the post-op sessions, I was told to eat breakfast and every three hours thereafter to because our bodies perform better at a steady blood sugar level.  (guess going a long period of time in between food creates spikes and valleys--hard on our organs or something like that)  Anyway, it sounds like it makes sense.  I do wonder how eating that often doesn't equate to the sin of "grazing"? What's the time frame that constitutes grazing?  Anybody?

debbiejn
on 1/14/14 9:39 am

well, that makes since to me.  Guess I need to try again.  Maybe a protein shake will work.

Thanks!

Ladytazz
on 1/14/14 6:10 am

I don't like to eat that early either because I usually wake up extremely thirsty and not hungry at all so I drink my breakfast since I can't eat and drink at the same time and since I have to choose I would rather nurse my protein coffee then eat and have to wait 30 minutes before I can drink again.  I've done this from early out and it works for me.  I also have a rule (for myself) that I need to drink no less then 16 oz and preferably 32 oz before I eat food.  That way I know I get my fluids in for the day.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

siberiancat
on 1/14/14 7:01 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN

I can't do breakfast with solid food.  I have had a hot protein drink for over 4 years every morning.  My current fave is:

Bluebonnet Whey Isolate powder(Stevia not Splenda)

1 scoop Mocha Click

1 ounce Peppermint Patty SF syrup.  I mix those three really well (like cake batter consistency) and stir constantly while I pour boiling water in my mug.  I use canned real whipped cream and sprinkle on some peppermint candy cane pieces.

This hot protein drink every morning also helps to assure I have a daily BM!!

Penny

Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 462 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 532 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 513 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 402 views