Traveling + soft food diet?

canttouchus
on 1/19/14 6:15 am
RNY on 01/07/14

I'm traveling to Memphis in about 2 weeks. I'll still be on my soft food diet (the 3rd week of it) at that point. The hotel we booked doesn't have a fridge OR a microwave (grr), and I can't take a cooler because I'm flying. There is only a coffee pot. The people I'm traveling with don't know I've had RNY and I'd rather not tell them.

What can I pack with me to eat? I know I can take my protein powder, my cheese sticks, and pudding/jello... What else packs easy and can be taken on an airplane/doesn't need to be refrigerated? Also, my friends are definitely going to want to go out to lunch/dinner while we're there. I wish I didn't have to go out to eat but there won't really be any way around it. Any suggestions of what I should look for on the menu?

"There is strength inside of you that you have yet to discover."

poet_kelly
on 1/19/14 6:19 am - OH

Oatmeal (you can add protein powder to it), eggs or omelets, chili, soup, refried beans (at Mexican places), cottage cheese (often available as a side dish at places like Denny's or Perkins), sliced deli  meat (like the meat from a sandwich, like at subway), the insides of a burrito, cooked veggies, yogurt.  Just keep in mind some of these items at restaurants may be high in fat or sugar, so ask about the nutritional info before ordering anything at all questionable. 

Have you thought about what you're going to tell your traveling companions?  They will probably notice  you eat very small meals and order kind of weird stuff this early out.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

PetHairMagnet
on 1/19/14 6:33 am
RNY on 05/13/13

I would buy things when you get there for the most part. Depending on which actor you get in Security Theatre at the airport, you likely won't be able to take pudding in your carry on.  Are you allowed unsweetened applesauce? It was on my pre-op list and I traveled with the packs of that and it helped, but bought them upon arrival! Also, when I went to Vegas I ran into a 7-11 and got a styrofoam cooler which I got fresh ice for each day as we did our day trips. At the end of our vacation, I gave a homeless man all the food and the cooler. He was thrilled and I was not wasting food. 

Soup is an easy choice at restaurants, too! If you tolerate it, the packs of tuna in a pouch will be good, too. 

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

vcroome
on 1/19/14 11:42 am - Japan

I've worked in many hotels, from really nice ones to really crappy ones. Usually even the crappiest hotels have an icemachine somewhere in the hotel. If so, there should be a small ice bucket in the room that you can fill with ice. You can keep things like individual yogurt and cottage cheese cups in there! Good luck :D

(deactivated member)
on 1/19/14 11:52 am

Most hotels have buffet breakfast depending where you are staying.The last time I stayed at a hampton inn I would take an extra hard boild egg.and a yogurt also.You can take some protein powder to.Once you start going out to eat it gets easier.Just don't worry too much.You do not to tell them unless you feel comfortable.You can always get tuna salad and other things you have eaten already.People in the hotel try to make you as comfortable as possible.You can always tell them about your issues you have and not go into too much detail.You can always grab a lunch bag to take with you and shop for healthy things.Best of luck to you.

sw12
on 1/19/14 12:14 pm

I have traveled on basically all phases of the diet (even 2 days after leaving the hospital) and it is never easy but doable. I am on the last half of soft food now and I have been traveling this weekend. I bought some Quest bars just to have as a backup in case my flight was delayed and I ran out of food or something. I did end up eating half on the airplane and I was fine with it. It never hurts to have a backup plan! I also brought cottage cheese in ziploc and tupperware through security with no problem. 

Ashley in Belgium
on 1/20/14 4:41 am - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

Laughing cow cheese doesn't need to be refrigerated so that is a good option to have in your purse. Here in Europe it's sold on a shelf with the dry foods! You can put it in an ice bucket if you prefer it cold but you can travel w/ it easily. 

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 366 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 471 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 462 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 348 views