Large Pouch

Mary Catherine
on 1/21/14 9:02 am

You can always just ask your surgeon how big your pouch is.  Every surgeon is different and maybe yours started out bigger than others.

bdaycakegirl
on 1/27/14 11:18 am

Hello Sir!

I think you've gotten good advice here. I wish you luck on your journey! Maybe no more chili!  I am pre-op but my NUT told me no solid/liquid mixes like chili, soup, cereal with milk etc.

hw: 311  cw:304  sw:???  gw:150

JenniPenny
on 1/21/14 9:15 am - MN

I'm sure your doctor told you that the nerves cut during your surgery will make it impossible for you to "feel" full or over full or hungry. It takes 6 weeks or up to 8 weeks for those nerves to

heal. The reason we are told to eat Tablespoons per meal is because our pouch is the size of your thumb when you're a newbie. It will stretch a bit over time but most post ops are told

to limit meals to 3 tsps to 3 tablespoons or 3 ounces per meal. WE don't usually work up to 1/4 cup of food until 3 months out. By overeating you can stretch out your pouch, rip out the new

sutures youhave and end up back in surgery. Chili usually goes down well but not a cup at a time! Check the book you got from your doc or nut as to portions per meal. You should be on

a small medicine like cup 3 times per day. I was on 3 ounces (but could never fit that mu***** per meal for the first 4 or 5 weeks. I'm curious why you would eat another cup after already

consuming one knowing the size of your new pouch? We have to treat it like a baby-it's still healing. Don't overfill it, remember there's no feeling yet. Learn full and overfull when it

comes back. Cut back on portions and make sure you only eat what you can hold. Check with your doc if you're not sure.

Jen 12 yrs post op RNY

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 59 replies · 381 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 501 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 575 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 30 replies · 294 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Tuesday Menu?