Large Pouch

Showbiz7757
on 1/20/14 7:53 am

I realize this may sound bad.

I'm four weeks post-op and I've lost 16 pounds. I've felt this is a low number, but have realized it's going to take time. i made chili and I ate a cup and was not full so I ate another cup and still didn't feel full. I'm starting to wonder if my pouch is to big. 

Ive done my diet perfect minus this one meal.

poet_kelly
on 1/20/14 7:58 am - OH

Was the chili pretty soupy?  Was there much liquid in it?  Liquid and liquid-y stuff doesn't stay in the pouch long so it's possible to eat more of it.

Also, though, at just four weeks out, the nerves that were cut during surgery haven't fully healed yet.  So you may not get a full sensation sometimes.  It's best to measure your food and stop at the recommended amount.  I realize that's hard to do something, but just remind yourself you can have more in a little while if you feel hungry.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/20/14 7:58 am - OH

You MUST measure and stick to your surgeons's portion recommendations!  Even one cup is far too much at only 4 weeks out, let alone two cups!  What made you think even a cup of chili was acceptable at only a month out?  Did your surgeon not tell you how much to eat?

The nerves in your stomach were cut during the surgery, making it difficult (sometimes impossible) to feel when you are full.  You will likely not feel full at all until those nerves reconnect.  

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

annareepee
on 1/26/14 5:09 pm - Edmonton, Canada
I find your comment surprisingly judgemental. He is here for help - not to be scolded by someone who has perhaps forgotten how overwhelming it can be in the beginning.
MGTeacher
on 1/20/14 8:00 am

Chili is a slider food and usually goes down easily. Just because you can eat something, doesn't mean you should.  I'm not preaching. This is something I have to repeatedly tell myself. Chili is a good choice, but not two bowls.  Solid protein sources will fill you up much faster. Good luck on your journey.

gtrdyfor50
on 1/20/14 8:13 am
RNY on 10/08/13
I am almost four months out and since day one, and still today, I measure, eat, stop..... measure, eat, stop.... that is what I am supposed to be doing and I thought most others too.

Showbiz7757
on 1/20/14 8:45 am

Honestly, I've measured everything. I think I was just testing, for some reason. My doctors  manual said my pouch can't hold more than 2-4 oz, I was surprised I didn't get full or even sick. 

My doctor just said to eat protein first, which the chili has a lot of. Thanks for all the advice.

PetHairMagnet
on 1/20/14 9:58 am
RNY on 05/13/13
On January 20, 2014 at 4:45 PM Pacific Time, Showbiz7757 wrote:

Honestly, I've measured everything. I think I was just testing, for some reason. My doctors  manual said my pouch can't hold more than 2-4 oz, I was surprised I didn't get full or even sick. 

My doctor just said to eat protein first, which the chili has a lot of. Thanks for all the advice.

How much protein is in a cup of this chili? I think of it as a marginal protein food generally. 

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Showbiz7757
on 1/20/14 10:04 am

With the meat and beans it's around 40

poet_kelly
on 1/20/14 10:20 am - OH

Are you sure that number is right?  I'm just asking because it seems high to me.  I did some quick googling and of course I don't know what's in the chili you ate, but a large Wendy's chili (is that more than one cup?) only has 19 grams of protein in it.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
Recent Topics