Still having problems with some soft foods

motomama
on 1/24/14 9:01 am - TX
RNY on 09/06/13

Here is my long story short:  Had revision from lapband to RNY on 9/6/13, had major stricture issues until December 2013 (on liquids entire time).  Have progressed to soft foods, my surgeon doesn't do purees, wants me to learn how to self puree my food.  Some of the time it goes well, other times it does not.  For example, yesterday didn't have any problems.  Today ate some of the same food and it came back up.  What am I doing wrong? or differently?  Also am now lactose intolerant.

I am a 42 year old mother of 3 who is 5 feet tall and trying to beat the odds of my inherited medical history.  Taking things one day at a time.  Banded in 2008, revised to RNY 2013

Mary Catherine
on 1/24/14 11:22 am

That is sort of how RNY goes for a while.  One day a food is fine.  The next day it is not 

It helps to make sure foods are very moist, eat very slowly, and eat very small amounts.  Just because your plan says you can eat something does not mean your pouch will agree.

Also I found that microwaving anything would make me sick.  Lactose intolerant goes along with this.  Somebody might explain that further.  I use Lactaid milk.  Many go to soy milk. 

My body adjusted to most things in time.  I probably am not lactose intolerant anymore, but don't test it.

motomama
on 1/24/14 11:26 am - TX
RNY on 09/06/13
Thank you for your response. Microwaving has me thinking wondering if it dries things out too much. Food for thought!

I am a 42 year old mother of 3 who is 5 feet tall and trying to beat the odds of my inherited medical history.  Taking things one day at a time.  Banded in 2008, revised to RNY 2013

Heather D.
on 1/24/14 1:21 pm
Microwaving does some weird stuff to food. We made salmon a couple weeks ago and I took it to work. Nuked it with some evoo and even with as moist as it felt, it wouldn't sit right. I ended up taking it home for hubs to eat. Same thing happened with shrimp and even ricotta cheese.

pathchic
on 1/25/14 12:33 am - FL
RNY on 08/07/13

I had no idea others had the microwaving issue... I had left over poached salmon which I tolerated fine served cold in a salad, but then made me sick when I tried to eat it warmed... Go figure.

MickeyDee
on 1/25/14 8:32 am

Our pouches can be pretty tempermental at first;  it's all a matter of trial-and-error.  Just give the stuff a miss for a while then try again later.  I liked pureeing my favorite soups in a blender, heating the result, then adding extra unflavored protein powder.  The taste wasn't affected and I got higher protein intake.

Lactose intolerance for me came and went.  I used rice milk for a while then went back to regular 1% milk with no problem.

Just remember to chew thoroughly, and all will be well.  I also had to totally avoid breads for the first year or more unless it was toasted.  It felt like I was having a heart attack the first time I tried to eat a sandwich post-op.  Not one of my favorite times.

Just keep trying gently.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 295 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 220 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 288 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 147 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?