Steroids and RNY?

onebigcelt
on 1/24/14 8:42 am - midlothian, VA
RNY on 11/22/13

My bariatric nurae said I have to tax Prilosec OTC if I am taking steroids for the rest of my life.... I don't understand why other than she said to protect my pouch.

poet_kelly
on 1/24/14 9:13 am - OH

Are you sure she was talking about steroids?  Not NSAIDS?

If you didn't understand why, why didn't you ask her why?  It's kind of hard for us to guess why she might have said something.

I've heard doctors saying NSAIDS were OK if you took an acid blocker with them, though others say they are still not OK and the ASMBS recommends not using them at all.  Most doctors say steroids are OK, and the ASMBS doesn't warn against using them.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

sonyamarie75
on 1/24/14 9:37 am - OH
RNY on 08/20/13 with

My surgeon's office also recommended a PPI for long term steroid use. Steroids are hard on your stomach under normal cir****tances :) Actually, I only had to use it short term and it made my pouch cranky. I was already on a PPI and had to go up on my dose. Good luck.

Sonya B, Toledo, Ohio- RNY  08/20/13  

onebigcelt
on 1/24/14 10:11 am - midlothian, VA
RNY on 11/22/13

Thanks! And yes it was steroid use not NSAIDs. Nsaids are off limits period

H.A.L.A B.
on 1/24/14 10:19 am, edited 1/24/14 10:42 pm

Depends on a dosage.  Yes. Steroids can cause damage to digestive track. Not only stomach - pouch but also intestine.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

mzlaura
on 1/24/14 1:16 pm - Litchfield, NH
RNY on 03/05/13

Yes you will need a PPI and extra calcium citrate in addition to your bariatric vitamins.  My gastroenterologist told me this. I would try to avoid steroids as much as possible. I have an ulcer now and this is why they tell you to take a PPI because steroid use can cause ulcers especially in us RNY folks.

HW: 401  SW: 297  CW: 200.8
RNY gastric bypass surgery on March 5th, 2013

Bibo
on 1/25/14 2:15 pm

Yes, with proton pump inhibitors and my pharmacist said take the PPI half hour before dinner and 30 min waking up, take the prednisone with a meal and drink water an hour after the meal and any pain whatever to get in and get a endoscope to check for ulcers. highly discouraged. Sometimes I need it for my asthma, and I pay for it with stomach ache for several days. Also i need tums or whatever after.

Neaucora
on 1/26/14 6:11 am - AZ
RNY on 04/23/12

I was on prednisone for awhile for my rhumetoid arthritis. OMG, it was horrible. I was nauseous and sick like all the time. So that made me cranky and irritable. It just really sucked. I am also on methotrexate and humira. So I was taking vitamin C to help boost my nonexistant immune system. DO NOT TAKE VIT C WITH PREDNISONE.  It ruined my digesttive tract for like a month. It was horrible. I am now off the prednisone and will do my very best not to take another steroid ever. UGH.  I am sorry you have to take the steroids for the rest of your life, my prayers to you.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 55 replies · 427 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 355 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 355 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 281 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 6 replies · 161 views
Recent Topics